Coal 2-8-2 in Japan Converted to 'Air'

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

Coal 2-8-2 in Japan Converted to 'Air'

Postby Millhouse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:29 pm

I don't have all the details, so I'm not sure if this is compressed air, I only know just what's in the article. I've watched other youtube videos of a different engine of the same class, sounds very different under a full head of steam.

Secondly, if it's air powered, what on earth is coming out of the stack...the caption says it's just an effect. There's a car behind the tender that might contain the compressor and tank? Or perhaps the car behind the tender is motorized? When they show a close up of the drivers moving in the video, I'm not hearing what sounds like compression...I hear that empty 'chuff' (don't know what the nickname is for it) that's normally associated with towing a steam locomotive...again I don't know if air is powering much more than the whistle. I would think the air compression requirements to make an engine this size move would be huge.

I decided to share this because I had a thought... if you had just a small museum with a mile or less of track to run up and down, and not a lot of money to justify/afford a restoration, would this be the way to go? (Now this is assuming you have the air equipment to make the engine move like these guys do)...doesn't look like this locomotive is going anywhere in a big hurry, but if your line is short, you don't exactly need to go anywhere in a big hurry.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201706260025.html

tom c
Conductor

Re: Coal 2-8-2 in Japan Converted to 'Air'

Postby tom c » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:05 pm

A couple of guys at the Ridgway RR Museum are financing a replica of RGS 36 and plan to have an air compressor in the tender to make short trips on the museum track.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Hmmmmm. Official site confirms this and says they also plan to occasionally operate it under live steam.

http://www.ridgwayrailroadmuseum.org/RGS36.pdf

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Steam has more power than compressed air. Steam continues to expand as the pressure goes down because the as the pressure drops the temperature to convert H2O to steam converts more water to steam as the piston moves to make more room. You get a good blast up the stack at that point because the pressure drops to atmospheric and the remaining H2O content will continue to be converted to steam due to the reduction in pressure.
You have to keep moving air into the cylinder to keep the pressure up as the piston moves. When you close the admission from the supply, the pressure drops much more quickly and when the exhaust opens there is often no pressure left... the piston reversing to push the air out is the sound you hear, not the sudden release of remaining steam pressure. Thus you get just a "rush" of air, instead of the sharp "blast".
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:20 am

I can see them running that engine under compressed air to move it a short distance, and when they want to go farther using steam. It does no harm to the engine that wouldn't occur when under steam, and steam actually would put more wear on the boiler and firebox than compressed air.
The thing with air is that you can't go very far unless you have a mighty huge air compressor buried in the tender or in a trailing car. How exciting for the proposed passengers... hearing this huge diesel engine running an air compressor. If no compressor, you won't go more than a few hundred feet before it stops.
I once had the great experience of riding in the firebox in the 261. Steve was moving it on compressed air while I was doing work in the firebox.
You cannot imagine the amount of wind that came in there through the firebox door EVEN WITH nothing over the grates - grates were wide open to air, yet a strong wind blew through the fire door into my face.

We only moved about a hundred feet, but it was kind of fun.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:40 pm

Interesting... so where on the 261 was the compressed air introduced in the steam path? Just in front of the throttle? Or externally directly into the cylinders?

Wowak
Conductor

Postby Wowak » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:46 am

We occasionally use compressed air to move the 113 (usually just a few feet back and forth for various reasons) and we pressurize the boiler from our portable compressor. You won't go far before the pressure drops off too much to be of any use.
-Former Moderator

Return to “General Discussion”