A Twin Cities Local I Love To Catch

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

A Twin Cities Local I Love To Catch

Postby SOO2719 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:36 pm

The Union Pacific's Golden Valley Industrial Lead actually stretches from Minneapolis to east of Highway 494 in Plymouth, Minnesota, where the Luce Line State Trail takes over the former Chicago & North Western/Minneapolis & St. Louis/Minnesota Western route. The line's mix of suburban scenery and interesting shippers makes the GVI one of my favorite railfan haunts, and catching the UP local is easy as pie once you deduce its days of operation. After spotting the local two weeks ago when it was stopped east of Highway 169 and Mendelsshon Avenue North in Golden Valley, I made a mental note of the time I had spotted the train there, around one in the afternoon. Shortly after 1 P.M. today I set off to locate the train and found my hunch was 100% correct! :D I suspect this is where the crew stops to "go for beans" due to some restaurants being located nearby (but not right near the tracks).
The motive power was GP38-2 706 and GP60 1106, and the train's consist had nine steel coil cars and three empty bulkhead flats. All of these cars were destined for shippers in Plymouth.
The Golden Valley Industrial Lead local is a prime example of big city railroading.
Attachments
Complete view of UP GVI local stopped east of 169 Golden Valley 7 13 2017.JPG
Front view of UP GVI local stopped east of 169 Golden Valley 7 13 2017.JPG
UP GVI local stopped just east of 169 Golden Valley 7 13 2017.JPG
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Mark D
Conductor

Re: A Twin Cities Local I Love To Catch

Postby Mark D » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:25 pm

You might have another commuter line to chase and photograph in the future. It seems that the city of Edina (Village of Edina when I lived there in the 60's) is toying with the idea of restoring commuter service on the old Dan Patch line. I sort of doubt the people who live along that line will be very happy about it.
Is that not the line that runs (ran) down to Savage and beyond?

Their transportation commission is likely to make a recommendation in September. Another, public, meeting will be scheduled sometime after the recommendation, depending on what the recommendation is. If they schedule a public meeting, the recommendation was to go ahead and build the golden railroad. That would mean a public hearing at which you would be able to attend if you're interested in their thinking - or lack thereof.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm

I did not know Edina was interested in the Dan Patch as a commuter line. Interesting.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:50 am

Just last night on the 10:00 news it was on Channel 5 (IIRC) Seems the people who live along that track don't like the idea very much. Can't say that I blame them. And there was someone saying that the track doesn't lend itself to commuter rail. I didn't get why because I came in a bit late, but it might be because of where it comes from and where it goes. I think if you do a bit of web searching you might be able to find that story in print or video.
Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:38 pm

I found an article at the Star Tribune. The route was originally designed for interurban trains, an early form of commuter rail. The people living trackside are just being NIMBYs, as usual.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:10 am

I also saw that article later yesterday after I posted. Sitting in my car at the 261 shop eating my lunch I read the paper.
NIMBY's or not, if I lived in that area (God forbid!) I, too, wouldn't like that sudden intrusion into my life. However, I would also realize that it IS ACTUALLY a railroad track. This means that trains might actually run on said railroad track, and not always just one each direction per day. IF it were to actually come to pass, those people have two choices. Buck up and deal with it, or sell and move. It's not all that great of an area to live in anyway. I know the area. Nice place to visit, but sure wouldn't want to live there.
Mark D.

Return to “General Discussion”