Want to own your own passenger coach?

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Want to own your own passenger coach?

Postby Mark D » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:54 am

Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Wowak
Conductor

Re: Want to own your own passenger coach?

Postby Wowak » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:33 am

Also 70 high-hood GP-38-2s and a genset.
-Former Moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:57 am

Perfect! You can buy all the cars and a couple GP-38-2's and start your own commuter railroad. All you need is some track to run it on :-(

Con a city into believing they need commuter rail from the suburbs and you've got er' made!

I know. It's not that simple, but...
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 am

These cars are in decent mechanical condition. I think they were first put into excursion service by Altoona shop who knew nothing about working on passenger cars. They were worked on several different times in the TVRM shop over the years under the direction of NS personal so improvements have been made. From my viewpoint the biggest problem with the cars are the awful commuter seats. They do not reverse so on most trips half will be made backing up. For me the seats are so uncomfortable that if I were to board one for an all day trip I would just turn around and get back off the train. My back would never outlast those awful seats. For a tourist operation with HEP equipment they will make a nice set of cars on a short run. They could also return to commuter service I suppose. The really sad part is NS is giving up completely on running future trips of their own, even with the business trains. I think that is very short sighted on their part.

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”