Steam Parts Theft

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Steam Parts Theft

Postby Mark D » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Recently the Sierra Railroad shop at Jamestown, California suffered a serious theft, I dislike the idea that those in the steam railroading industry would stoop to rob critical items from one group to fill the mechanical needs of another, I believe this is what is going on. Probably not someone who wants to scrap it for the money or for a souvenir because of the nature of the theft. Said thief knew which items went with the main item. It was someone who knew exactly what he was looking for. Also probably known to the owners.
It was an injector and associated parts.
It's a sad thing, but apparently locking the door when you leave at night isn't enough. You need to be watching everyone who enters the facility constantly because you don't know who is a thief pretending to be your best buddy.
We suffered a similar theft last winter at our shop. We don't know exactly when it happened because it wasn't on the radar until days before our first outing this year.
I recall one of the guys mentioning the drain cocks on the fireman's side air pump needed to be reinstalled. I recall asking why they were removed. Nobody could figure out why, but figured that our fearless leader probably removed them for rehab or something.
Well, it turns out they weren't removed by any of us. They were obviously removed by someone who thought he needed them more than we do.
These are very special valves that have an internal spring that allows over-pressure to blow out through the valve to avoid damage to the air pump itself if there is too much water for whatever reason.
Well, this was all discovered only at fire-up time. We got by with some ingenuity and the help of Home Depot's plumbing section. We do have our suspicions on who dunit, but without concrete proof we can't really say anything.
It seems that all easily removable fittings on a steam locomotive need to be indelibly marked to show who owns those fittings.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

BurlingtonJohn
Conductor

Re: Steam Parts Theft

Postby BurlingtonJohn » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:41 pm

Word on Trainorders is that the parts have returned ... no idea as to who returned them.

Regards,
Burlington John

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Steam Parts Theft

Postby Mark D » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:28 am

And also, I would guess, no word on HOW they were returned?

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”