4014 at Promontory Point in 2019

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

bobnsteam
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

4014 at Promontory Point in 2019

Postby bobnsteam » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Guys,
I've done a satellite view of Promontory Point and I don't see any tracks leading
in or out. Rails must have been removed years ago. I do see a small wye. How's
4014 gonna get there? Any thoughts?
Bob

Millhouse
Conductor

Re: 4014 at Promontory Point in 2019

Postby Millhouse » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:55 pm

I wasn't aware the UP had plans to take it there. Where can I find the source info?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a few sources. I'd be more skeptical that it shows up to Promontory at all. I have no info but I'd almost have to guess (meaning this is pure speculation on my part) the early break in runs would need to be kept as close as possible to Cheyenne for a time?

I also personally have a gut feeling it won't be finished by 2019, but I wound up being dead wrong on the 844 coming back to life last year. :)

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:38 am

Well, from what I've seen it appears that outside of operating 844 now and then the emphasis of the day is to get that monster ready to operate. It is said the running gear is in good (I read that as, ' potentially able to get the thing down the track for a few hundred miles if it doesn't go too fast'.
I suspect they're going to do the boiler work, make sure the pistons and valves are operable, make sure the rod bearings and axle bearings are ok and all appliances are working well and that'll be about it. I doubt it's going to be a full off the frame rebuild from the ground up. No time for that, and it can come later if they decide to keep it operable after the big celebration.
Remember, it made the trip in tow from California to Cheyenne without a problem, in tow. If they run it easy and waste lots of grease they can probably make it from Cheyenne to Utah as long as the boiler and firebox are good.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Wonder how much time the oil burning conversion will add on. Guess we'll see. I know they ran 3985 on coal at first then converted her later.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:47 am

I had forgotten about having to switch over to oil. I'm betting they will do that before running it. How long do they have to get it going? I forget when this anniversary thing is.
The nice thing is that there are some number of full time employees working on this beast, so it's not like operations that run solely on volunteer help a couple times a week. If they work hard and put in long hours they probably can git er dun.
Mark D.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Mark...

https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/heritage/index.htm

Seen that top photo yet? Looks like the entire boiler is stripped down now, or was as of the end of May. Gotta love the makeshift truck/welded dolly they put under the first half of the boiler.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:37 pm

I can see a thumbnail of the boiler with some sort of vehicle appearing to support that end of the boiler, but when I click on it to try to get something with detail it just refreshes the page.
Whatever, they're working on it. I'm surprised they removed the boiler. I figured they'd just pull the flues, do the U.T., repair or replace anything that is deficient, do all the stay bolts and whatever else they need to do with the boiler and move on.
We'll see. They know when they need to have it done, so I'm guessing they're confident they can get it operable on time.
Mark D.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:26 am

I don't think you could class the boiler as being "removed"... they just took out the front engine (to work on it) and needed to support that end of the boiler with the makeshift truck. The boiler is still firmly attached to the rear engine.
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:59 am

I could see the other end was held up by something, but didn't know what it was. Whatever works for them...
Mark D.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Just trying to display the image on this site:

Didn't work!
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:19 pm

What Charles was trying to do, linked directly from the website, using the 'Img' button above.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:45 pm

I tried img tags... Dunno what I did wrong...

Anyway, normally a boiler is connected to the frame only at the smokebox saddle and the rest is allowed to thermally expand and contract on the frame. An articulated locomotive has 2 frames, one for each engine, and only the rear one is attached to the boiler so it cannot be at the smokebox. There is no rigid frame under the whole length of the boiler. The boiler is supported on the front end on a sliding platform on the top of the front engine frame that allows the front engine to shift under the boiler as the locomotive articulates in curves.
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:10 am

In an attempt to answer the original question I remember the Golden Spike Limited train run for the 100th anniversary of the driving of the spike by Ross Rowland and company in 1969 terminated at a town or city near the actual site. The UP official trains also terminated in the same area. I do not know enough about the area to remember the nearest location on the UP but all the people were bussed to and from the ceremony. I suspect the same will be true if 4014 goes next time. From my understanding the railroad bypassed this area many years ago and there is no connection to the outside rail network for the engines used today. What I do remember about the 1969 trip is that UP wanted no part of running somebody else's train and it was only last minute pressure from the AAR that forced them into the operation. By then it was far to late to sell tickets for the train and the operation was at a great financial loss to Ross. Up operated the train with 3 E units and wanted it off the property as fast as possible after the ceremony. From stories told by those on board it must have been some trip back to St. Louis, I believe, to get the train off UP property.

John Bohon

bobnsteam
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby bobnsteam » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks John. Interesting material. At Trainorders some suggest the ceremony would be at Ogden or even
can you believe it Sacramento. To get to Promontory they say UP would have re-rail 20 miles of track.
We'll wait and see.
Bob

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Figure I'll put this on the most recent discussion thread about 4014 rather than start a new one.

U.P.'s latest PR update on the progress...includes a hell of an outdoor photo of 4014's disassembled boiler, sans all wheels except the rear truck.

http://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/steam-update-08-25-2017.htm

And the accompanying youtube vid.

Return to “General Discussion”