I Got My Ticket To Ride The 261 Fall Colors Excursion

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

I Got My Ticket To Ride The 261 Fall Colors Excursion

Postby SOO2719 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:22 pm

This week I got my ticket to ride the 261 trip to Winthrop, MN, on September 30. I sure look forward to being aboard when the train passes Tower E-14 in Minnetonka this time around! :D Last year all I could do was watch. I also look forward to traveling on the old Minneapolis & St. Louis too.
By the way, when and where will the train stop for photo runbys on the 30th? Also, what are the rules for photo runbys re: photographers? In all my years as a railfan, this will be my first excursion with photo runbys, hence my questions.
Attachments
261 at Tower E 14 Minnetonka 10 8 2016.JPG
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Mark D
Conductor

Re: I Got My Ticket To Ride The 261 Fall Colors Excursion

Postby Mark D » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:22 am

Well, don't ask me about the rules. I don't know what rules they have. In my early days with 261 and train I did get off for a runby, but haven't for many years.
Generally speaking, though, you all get off on one side of the train. The site is picked by somebody on the crew based on where they can put a hoard of people on the ground without being charged with trespassing, where it is safe for walking for everyone, and hopefully taking advantage of where the sun is. Also, the normal well recognized rules of courtesy to other photographers all apply. Not everyone obeys those rules, usually because they don't know them.
If it's pouring rain they might elect to cancel the runby unless the passengers revolt and force it. :-)

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”