Update on C&O 1309 2-6-6-2 Restoration

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

Update on C&O 1309 2-6-6-2 Restoration

Postby Millhouse » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Caught this earlier today, figure I'd share. I'm sure this one's all over T.O.s.

Unexpected problems are always bound to come up. Doesn't sound like they got knocked an unreasonable amount off schedule when one considers the size of this locomotive and the scope of the restoration.

Best of luck to them in the next two years.

https://vimeo.com/228503289

John Bohon
Conductor

Re: Update on C&O 1309 2-6-6-2 Restoration

Postby John Bohon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:39 am

While the unexpected is always going to show its head during locomotive rebuilds my problem with this unexpected development is that something like pits on a driver journal, and it sounds like the crank pins too, are not that hard to find. These drivers have already been sent to Strasburg to have new tires applied. I can not imagine the good folks at Strasburg did not point out these defects. The other problem is there are pictures around that show the drivers stored outside with no cover after they were returned from Strasburg. While I doubt these pits formed in the time stored outside it does show a lack of care for some pretty critical parts. To be fair there has been at least one and perhaps more changes in management at WMSR since the beginning of this project. It is probable the people making the decisions earlier are no longer on the project. While it is true some pits can actually act as grease sumps providing lubrication especially on pins if you are going to rebuild a locomotive for the long run on a difficult railroad they should be addressed while the wheels are out. If the driver journals are oil bath that can be a different circumstance. Hopefully the people running the project will continue to listen to those who know and address the problems now rather than risk having problems later.

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”