Trains Magazine October 2017 edition

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Trains Magazine October 2017 edition

Postby Mark D » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:38 am

Anyone here read Trains? I do just for the rare steam articles and to keep up on what's going on in the freight rail industry.
In the October edition they have a complete map of where the Milw 261 has been since original restoration to service until right now. Looking at it, I think to myself, "That's all ?" But in truth a lot of those routes have been traversed by the 261 many times, not just once.
It is interesting though.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

bobnsteam
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Re: Trains Magazine October 2017 edition

Postby bobnsteam » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:28 pm

Mark,
In "Big Steam is Back" a Trains magazine Extra 2017 there's an extensive article on
Milwaukee Road 261 on page 65. Perhaps you've already seen it but its very detailed
and informative.
Bob

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:30 pm

I don't get that magazine. Have to draw the financial line somewhere.
Mark D.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:37 am

Might be interesting to see the map color-coded on specific routes to indicate number of times 261's been on a particular route, versus other less-traveled routes.

Everytime I'm at Cub I have to tell myself no to Trains and Model Railroader. :P

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:44 am

And my favorite magazine of them all isn't even railroad related!!!
It's called 'Air Classics'.
Very expensive (for me) but very high quality coated paper and phenomenal photographs taken in the air. Very in-depth articles and articles on who is restoring what aircraft and where. Restoration of vintage aircraft to either museum or airworthy condition has become very popular all around the globe. The Russians are into it now too.
Beautiful aircraft of all types from the first decade of the 1900's up to anything that has become obsolete in the latter part of the 20th century. My favorite vintage airliner is the Lockheed Constellation followed by the DC-3. Both of these aircraft still exist and a number of DC-3's are still hard at work in the air commercially after seventy or more years of service. Warbirds thrive all around the world and I can read all about them in Air Classics. They also cover the annual Reno Air Races, currently in a bit of financial trouble. Not sure if there'll be a Reno race next year. I'll know when the magazine tells me. Picture heavily modified world war two fighters running a few hundred feet off the ground around pylons that simulate an oval race track at speeds around 500 mph. Fitz, one of our members here, has been there. Lucky guy!
Now, if Trains magazine were to go back to how it was a few years ago when Jim Wrinn became the head guy and there was a lot of steam in it, I'd have to call it my favorite magazine, simply because that is something I can not only see, but touch and feel and work on. I can't do that with vintage aircraft these days, although I did receive my basic training in a Piper J-3 Cub. A classic tail dragger on a grass strip, but in winter on skis too. You hand propped the engine to get it started.
These days there is usually something in Trains magazine related to steam, but seldom in depth and rarely very interesting reading.
Mark D.

Return to “General Discussion”