Save the L & A 503 steam locomotive on GoFundMe page

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

Re: Save the L & A 503 steam locomotive on GoFundMe page

Postby Millhouse » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:11 am

Power of the internet is amazing to me, even 20 years after jumping on it for the first time.

When you really think about it, that's a hell of a fast raising of $66,000 considering what it's for. I'm not so far into being a railfan that I forget we're not exactly a massive part of the population (though I like to pretend we are). :P

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:23 am

If they can keep it going like that for a while they might indeed pull this off and we'll have another operational steam locomotive chugging along a track somewhere.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:50 am

Well, it appears that although they raised the funds the city and scrapper called for, the city is now debating whether to just continue on with scrapping the engine anyway.
Not sure why they would go back on their word, (or maybe they never really gave their word) but I would suspect that they don't think the funds are enough to also move the engine off city property.

Looks like the backers of this project will need to keep on with their go fund me project.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:51 pm

Returning to an old subject, it appears the city has completed their effort to pull defeat from the jaws of victory. I read this afternoon an ex city councilman is now leading an effort to "restore" the 503. I can see this evolving into a bunch of Boy Scouts slapping a coat of cheap paint on the engine and calling it a great success. What is troubling is the new Facebook page basically accuses the people who managed to keep the engine from being scrapped of trying to steal if for free from the city and take to another place and make a fortune on what is now "our locomotive". No mention is made that if it had not rained the week before the effort to save 503 started the good city would have happily rendered the engine scrap and called it a great victory for the city. I have to say we certainly do live in a time when people are great at putting their own spin on the situation and ignoring the facts as they are. Politicians seem to be the best of the best at this skill.

John Bohon

Junk_Man999
Conductor

Postby Junk_Man999 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:48 pm

I'm not really surprised that people around there are being stupid. Most of them sing to the alma mater of Duelin' Banjos University.
All Aboard!!!

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:32 pm

Wasn't the mayor specifically saying he wanted the engine gone before the preservation efforts began online? It's almost like someone on the council was deliberately waiting for people to step forward and give money first, so they could step back in and say "Nope".

Return to “General Discussion”