NS sues train crew in Kentucky (March 18th)

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

bobnsteam
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

NS sues train crew in Kentucky (March 18th)

Postby bobnsteam » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:24 pm

Guys,
Multi-million dollar judgment against train crew? No doubt now unemployed crewmen. What gives?
Union to the rescue?
Bob

Mark D
Conductor

Re: NS sues train crew in Kentucky (March 18th)

Postby Mark D » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:53 am

I don't think the link provided is working. At least it's not working for me. That crew must have been severely negligent. In any case, no train crew is going to have the jing to pay anything close to what they're being asked to pay.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:05 am

This is probably as much about not paying for injuries to the crew as anything else. Railroad employees by law are not a part of workmans compensation. The only recourse when an employee gets injured is to settle with the company or sue. In this case the employees may well win their case but if NS wins theirs against the employees the railroad may get the money it pays out back, or at least some portion of that money. I suspect the employees defense will center around issues like fatigue and their training. They will also jump on anything on the ROW or engines that was not in perfect condition at the time of the accident. The outcome of this is going to be interesting but we may never really know the results. If settled out of court one sure requirement will be everyone keeping their silence.

John Bohon

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:30 pm

Okay, what has Jim Squires been smoking?! How can they do this to one of their own crews?!
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:17 pm

That is an easy question to answer. Bean counters and lawyers running companies do not give a damn about anything but money. I was once sent to a seminar for new managers. My job as a long term manager was to accompany a recently promoted individual from the company. The whole point of the presenters 8 hour program was that employees were worth no more than a paper clip. Use them until you no longer needed them or they were used up and get rid of that employee and get another. They are all alike just like paper clips. That is what has been drilled into managers heads since at least the seventies and now they believe that is the only was to operate a company. The bigger the company the more this is usually true. Don't expect things to get any better in the near future.

John Bohon

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 pm

And that, John, is why I don't work for big companies, rail or otherwise.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:05 am

Just make sure you realize that not all businesses, large or small, fit that stereotype. But on the same token not all businesses, large or small, are good with their employees. Businesses are like people - they all have their own personalities based on the personalities of management from the lowest to the highest levels.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:15 am

As one who has worked for small companies for more than forty years I can assure you that is no way to insure a good employment experience. In my younger days I worked for a company who paid so poorly I went back to my parents house on weekends because I could not afford food seven days a week. Even good companies can go bad. I once worked for a company as a department manager for 15 years. As a manager I had a budget and was allowed to spend X number of dollars without authorization from the boss. He allowed us to run our departments with very little over site and we did so very economically and efficiently. Our employees worked hard and we all went far overboard to serve our customers. The millionaire owners of the private company were taking home huge profits both from a dollar standpoint as well as a percentage. We were all well compensated with good benefits from the company. When the good boss retired he was replaced with a right wing type of guy who came from a big company and believed money should flow uphill only. Almost immediately we were all told to our faces we made to much money and he was going to do something about it. My allowed spending dropped to being able to buy gas and oil for my truck and an occasional minor too needed to make some repair. Everything else was micro managed and all spending essentially stopped. With virtually no daily repairs being done the department soon began to degrade mechanically and when an employee left they were not replaced. Every January and June first like clockwork we lost some sort of benefit. Everyone was going backwards on take home pay without any pay cuts. Long time employees were forced out and either not replaced or replaced by new hires making near minimum wage. Knowing a couple of the directors I know the board was not asking for these cuts but they benefited along with the new boss who was on a commission. The result from my standpoint was not only the degradation of my department but the employees no longer gave a damn about getting things done. If we told them to do something they got around to it eventually but there was certainly no urgency. The new boss also stopped listening to customers and business began to erode.

To bring this long post to a close there have been many times in my career I wished I did work for a big company. At least there is some measure of financial security and if the company had a union there was some protection from crazy bosses. Like everything there are costs and benefits to every situation. I am not creative enough to make this kind of stuff up so be assured what I have said is true.

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”