The Federal Railroad Administration is seeking public input re: automated trains

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

The Federal Railroad Administration is seeking public input re: automated trains

Postby SOO2719 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:05 pm

Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

John Bohon
Conductor

Re: The Federal Railroad Administration is seeking public input re: automated trains

Postby John Bohon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:43 am

I certainly am not in favor of crewless trains or for that matter remote control switching. There is nothing safer about either and the job losses hurt the middle class even more than they have already suffered. Having said that I must tell you I started in the railroad business firing and running steam engines. Eventually I migrated over to diesels and soon after began telling people if NASA were put in charge of the railroads they would train chimps to run the diesels until they could make them remote control. For their part the railroads do not care about safety. The money saved by not paying crews will far more than pay the damages that will result from automation. The FRA will eventually go along with the concept regardless of what the "uninformed" public thinks. Follow the money and you will find the answer.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Re: The Federal Railroad Administration is seeking public input re: automated trains

Postby Mark D » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:15 am

Amen to that John! I have nothing to add.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”