2926 Derailment On Eve of First Steam Up - Update on last page 08-08-2018

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

2926 Derailment On Eve of First Steam Up - Update on last page 08-08-2018

Postby Millhouse » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:33 pm

From the 2926 page: "The planned static steam up is put off until further notice. We have had a partial derailment of the trailing truck, right over the rear of the pit, with structural damage to the pit I-beam on the fireman side. We will be working with a railroad savvy local heavy equipment contractor Hulcher Services, Inc. to lift the rear of the engine, regauge the rails and get the 2926 safely moved to the west end of the work site. The tender will be stored in the engine house while the pit rail is rebuilt and strengthened. Work on the jacketing, radial buffer plate, electrical system and other restoration tasks will continue. Serious financial help is needed. Please be generous in helping the 2926 crew make progress on the restoration."

They were literally one day away from their first boiler steam up.
Additional photos are here, towards the bottom of the gallery, showing both the derailed truck axle and the split I-beam... evidently they had to offload some of the boiler water into the tender. Gotta wonder how this happened. :(
http://www.2926.us/Photos/2018/06-02/index.html
Weight, maybe? 2926 is over 1,000,000 pounds with the tender, fully loaded.

IF anyone is thinking about donating to help them out with this, there's a link here, provided by New Mexico Steam Locomotive & Railroad Historical Society on their Facebook page.
http://www.2926.us

Frankly I'm thinking about it. Hate like h*** to see them get this far, 19 years in and be stopped by something like this. The time on the flues is already ticking as of last year.
Last edited by Millhouse on Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

John Bohon
Conductor

Re: 2926 Derailment On Eve of First Steam Up

Postby John Bohon » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:00 pm

How it happened is obvious. Having a boiler full of water and the fresh load of oil in the tender as well as whatever water is in the tender the whole thing was to heavy for the structure of the pit. The track looks to be straight but the trailing truck may have crabbed to the left at just the wrong time and pushed on the head of the rail causing it to roll but I have no way of knowing for sure. The rail looks pretty small so there is not a lot of beam strength in the rail putting more pressure on the pit beams. I am not sure I would have jumped so fast to call in a contractor. If a heavy jack could be located I think I would have tried jacking the derailed axle, cutting the rail under the derailed wheel, and pulling the rail back under the wheel tread. It would be slow but a lot cheaper. Of course there could well be something about the area of the derailed wheel I can not see that does not allow jacking and rerailing. I have worked a couple of derailments at the edge of a pit. They are not fun.

Tube time does not usually start until one year after the first tube has been installed. How long have the tubes been in 2926? Usually the tubes do not go in until everything else possible is done and you are sure you have time to finish before the clock starts ticking.

Thanks for the update. This is just another hitch in the get along. These guys have worked 19 years and they are going to make it.

John Bohon

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:04 pm

I believe the flues and superheaters were installed last year and the boiler got its FRA inspection last year. I must apologize John, I thought the clock started on the flues after the FRA certification? My bad if that's incorrect.

EDIT: If I'm looking at the property correctly on aerial maps and in the NMRHS work photos, 2926 can't go forward, which would seem like the logical route - dead end. It will need to be backed over the pit to gain access to the main line again.

I do agree with you - they will make it.

Maybe KevanS is still around?

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:55 am

I would sure like to see a photo or three of the derailment. Normally something like that can be handled with a bit of wood blocking and careful wedging. But apparently this happened right over a pit? So, I picture in my mind the engineer side wheels hanging in mid air?

I can think of several things that could be done by the group without hiring some trillion dollar a minute company to come out with cranes and other equipment that will get it re-railed, but with a huge cost in damage to the locomotive itself - That has happened within recent history. But what I think of might not be feasible simply because I can't see what's going on.
We've derailed a number of times on sketchy track with the 261. Out comes the blocking and a half hour or so later it's back on the rails. And on this, I'm talking drivers.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:33 am

did u notice that they said they would be working with Hulcher. It may cut down on the cost.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Mark,

Click on the first link and there are a couple of photos of the derailed wheel near the bottom of the thumbnail photos. The wheel is not hanging over the pit but is near the edge. Blocking the wheel back on would require blocking from the bottom of the pit. Otherwise blocking suspended in the air tends not to hold much weight. The other problem is the I beams supporting the rail on the pit are also damaged. Before rerailing you would have to stabilize that situation if I am seeing the photos correctly. It is a little complicated but not impossible as far as I can tell. Of course there are always things you can not see or anticipate looking at photos from more than a thousand miles away so I will wait to see how they eventually deal with the problem if it has not been corrected already. Like crane companies you pay for derailment guys to get you back on from portal to portal. That gets expensive but if you can wait until they are already in the area you can usually cut the mobilization expense considerably. That can also work if they have somewhere else to go after they deal with your problem. It all depends on how much time you can take to deal with the problem and I would guess there is no big hurry here since work can progress just not the steam test they were hoping for.

John Bohon

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:25 pm

It's a lot of images to sift through, I don't mind linking a few.

All photo credit goes to the NMSL&RHS website.

Rear wheel of trailing truck when the locomotive dropped.

Close up of rail pushed off its supporting block.

Fireman's side I-beam over the pit. Bent.

Long distance shot of the pit, showing the I-beam and rail on the right side bent out.

Tender had to be separated from the locomotive.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:34 am

Is it my eyesight or is the rail on the right in the photo tilted outward?
I was under the impression that they had spread the rails, but I pictured the left rail out of place. But in the photo from the pit the right hand rail (fireman's side probably) seems to be pushed out.
I think that once they do get that thing back on the rails they had best beef up the support of the track over that makeshift pit... I know how that might come across, but I don't see much in the way of support for the rails.
Mark D.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:45 am

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35%C2%B006'12.1%22N+106%C2%B039'19.1%22W/@35.1033523,-106.6555588,30m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d35.1033472!4d-106.6552972

Here's an older aerial view of the group's property, pre-locomotive-shed-being-built.

In this view you can see the pit (black 'square' under the rails), and a rusty stripped down 2926 (locomotive only), in kind of the same position it was in right after it derailed, maybe a little further away from the pit than it was, but the positioning of everything I think is the same.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:22 am

Not much detail in that google photo, but I caught the pit part.
Having not seen everything, I still say that it's obvious that they need to beef up the track over the said pit. I sort of doubt they want to do this again.

Mark D.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:17 pm

UPDATE, source the New Mexico Steam Locomotive & Railroad Historical Society Facebook page.

"Easy does it! Hulcher Services arrived at 0918 this morning and worked hard with two D8 sideboom cats in the sun to get 2926 lifted, re-railed, and on safe track. The Hulcher crew was loaded up and gone by 1440. Thanks for the safe work, gentlemen! Please come to our open house September 29, 2018 and meet the friends and members of the 2926 crew."

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:03 pm

I'd bet that was one of the easiest jobs they have ever done. Of course, if'n you knows what you is a doin' you make it look easy!
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 am

I recently read that the cause of the mess was a broken weld. A single weld! That tells me they really need to beef up their support structure on the rails over the pit.
That, or don't put that engine over the pit.
Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:33 am

The picture shows the pit to be at the end of a curve which explains the rail turning over. Now that part makes sense. Blaming all this on a single weld is probably to simple of an explanation. This engine has been moved over the same location who knows how many times. All of those moves were successful. What was different about this move was the boiler was full of water and the tender freshly loaded with oil. Ole 2926 was heavier going over the same track than it had likely ever been before. Add to that the pit at the end of a curve and the number of cycles that weld had already undergone along with a pit design that is probably a little thin for the location. Don't forget how tight all that rigid stuff is under the frame including the roller bearing rods. All of those things actually caused the whole mess. My guess is a little redesign will make the pit sturdy enough to handle 2926 in the future and the process should not take all that long.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am

I get that it was loaded this time. Understood. But they are going to have to do something to beef up the rail over the pit if they plan on continuing to move it in and out of the barn while it is in service. I doubt they want this to happen again and the way to stop it from happening is to beef up the rail support. And maybe a bunch of gauge bars.
I cannot lay to claim that I know much about railroad track construction, but it is pretty obvious that they need to beef it up.
Mark D.

Return to “General Discussion”