Soo Line 2719 May Be Returning To Wisconsin

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Soo Line 2719 May Be Returning To Wisconsin

Postby SOO2719 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:02 pm

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/06/25-soo-line-no-2719-may-return-to-wisconsin-for-display

(Article not behind paywall.)

Quite frankly, I do not see why Eau Claire does not completely relinquish control of this magnificent engine to the Lake Superior museum.
Last edited by SOO2719 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Soo Line 2719 May Be Returning To Wisconsin

Postby Mark D » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:02 am

I haven't kept up with that engine. Last I knew wasn't it the one that the crew didn't properly tie down before they left it on a siding from which it slowly rolled down to the switch, which caused interference on the main and ultimately got whacked by a WC train? Did that not then cause it to be banned from the WC?

If I have the wrong engine, my bad. But I think that's it. I don't think it's been running up in Duluth - forgive me if I'm wrong.
However, now Duluth has an engine of their own that they are using now and then so they surely don't need it around for operations.

So, is the engine going back because Eau Claire want's it back? Or is the Duluth museum tired of having it around getting in the way?

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:54 pm

I am pretty sure you are right about the collision. I remember seeing the wheels in TVRM's shop on one of my few trips back to Chattanooga years ago. It was a long time ago so I am assuming the nineties. My impression was the sale of WC was the end of steam on the WC. I am a long way from the WC and have slept since then so I could easily be mistaken.

Wasn't this engine moved to the museum while it still had some FRA time running there until the time ran out? By then the museum had an engine they controlled and chose to repair it instead of 2719. If I understand correctly if the museum had gotten full title to 2719 they would have rebuilt it for service while running their current locomotive to maintain continual steam operation. A good plan that will be out the window if the city takes 2719 back. Evidently the city wants it back or they would have let the time run out at the museum and the museum could have put their plan into action. Southern 630 went through the same long process with NS still owning it and TVRM not willing to spend money on something they did not own. Thankfully that situation worked out better for the 630 than it appears it will for 2719.

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:34 pm

The latest:

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/06/27-wisconsin-city-approves-soo-line-2719-resolution

(Article not behind paywall.)

I first saw 2719 in action at Osceola, WI, twenty years ago, at "Steamfest In The Valley", an event which saw her, NP 328, and SOO 1003 all in operation. Twenty years later, we've come to this. (Sigh)
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:17 pm

I had to chuckle a bit on the last paragraph of the article where the Duluth people say that they had intended to restore the 2719 to operation after their 28 runs out of time. What? So they have two locomotives that need to go through the FRA mandated boiler inspection. If they're going to go through all that work, I'm pretty sure it would be for the engine they own, not the one that someone else owns and isn't going to pay for it.
Maybe if they're going to restore the 2719 back to service they should start on it now so that it would be ready to go when their 28 runs out of time.

Nark D.

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:12 pm

I dunno what LSRM's rationale is, Mark. I do think Eau Claire is being really weird about this, though. Why can't they let the engine stay in a good home like LSRM? And what if 2719 comes back and falls into limbo due to a new mayor taking office or something? I'd hate to see 2719 fall into limbo like 503 has down in Port Arthur. Texas.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:08 am

I don't understand why Eau Claire would want it back. I'm wondering if it isn't something to do with "It was ours, they have it and we don't and we should get some money out of this somehow." They don't realize that its only value is the scrap value because steam locomotives, as rare as they are and have a great 'cool' factor, are not desired by very many people. They don't comprehend the huge cost of just moving it down to their city from Duluth. They obviously can't operate it so what do they do with it? Put it in a park where it gets vandalized and all the jewelry stolen.

Best place is right where it is. I think that in the end that is where it will wind up staying.

Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:34 am

In the 1950's there were few railroad museums and about the only way to save a steam locomotive was to put it in a public park. It was seen as a monument to the past and few gave a thought to how to maintain the thing. It is truly sad to see a locomotive removed from a museum and returned to a park or other similar public display. The city officials have little to no idea what they are getting into or the true cost and a future administration will be wondering what the hell they are going to do with the rotting nightmare in the park. Frankly this is preservation in reverse. Perha0ps the comment by one official that once the locomotive is back in the city's possession they can do as they want with it is key to what they have in mind. One possible prospect he sees is to sell the locomotive, perhaps for a million dollars. If that is the case somebody is going to get an education. As someone who is at least marginally involved at this time getting a locomotive out of a park I can only chuckle to myself a little when I read BS like this.

John Bohon

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 am

According to Trains News Wire, Eau Claire has exercised their buyback option for the 2719. :(
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:18 pm

Keep an eye on Rail swap or some of the ads for railroad equipment. We may find the real intention of the city in buying back poor old 2719. Someone may think they have a gold nugget in their hands. If not then it may well be a case of it is ours and you can't have it. Only time will tell.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:11 am

If that's the case, and it seems plausible, they'll find there are few takers for an old steam locomotive that has to be moved at high cost. If they do take it back with that idea, the idea will most likely fail and they'll then offer it to the scrappers. And just as likely they will also refuse to sell any potential useable parts to other steam operators. Things like air pump, headlight, whistle, bell, gauges ....jewelry. I think they have that mentality of "It is ours and we will do what we like with it."

Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:23 am

I read they think the move will only cost $35,000.00. I wish them luck. Being involved somewhat with a group that will probably move an engine out of a park in the next year I can tell you they can not find such a deal. Their move is only a few miles as opposed to the long distance 2719 has to go. Admittedly the 2719 is smaller and probably in a better place to load but they still have to unload in a park environment. Unless someone is donating a lot of services I can not see all of that happening for $35,000.00.

Assuming the city is not looking at the possibility of making money or at least not spending a whole lot of money then the only reason I can see for this move would be to keep others from having "their" locomotive. Legally it is theirs but it is going to be difficult to make this the best outcome for the artifact. To do that they are going to have to come up with a climate controlled building and a way to make the display relevant in some way. My guess they are going to be lucky to find enough money to get it under cover let alone in a climate controlled building. Hopefully the jewelry will be put away or it will no doubt find a new home away from 2719. There are just no easy ways to care for something like a locomotive even if it does not run.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:15 am

Not only is their optimistic thoughts about how cheap it is to move the engine, they need to find a railroad willing to drag it back to Eau Claire. If I read it right, it is now not serviceable until the boiler goes through the big inspection. So it can't run on its own and about the only other way would be to put it on a flat car and haul it down there. $$$$$$$$$$
My understanding is that some yahoo on the city council convinced the others that they need that steam engine. Not sure for why. Probably because they can take it so they do.
I foresee a scrap dealer with a gleam in his eye about five years from now.
Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:41 pm

According to the local press there fund raising goal is between $85,000.00 and $200.000.00. The upper end of that will certainly get the engine moved and on a new display track. I am not sure if it would put 2719 under cover. My guess is they have an idea where the money can be found. We will see.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:22 am

And there might be another take on this.
Let's just think about how governments operate. They do what they can to get money from whatever source.
Just maybe they're attempting to get the LSRM into a position to want to buy it.
But if that's the case, I'll bet money it won't happen.
Mark D.

Return to “General Discussion”