Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 #261 trips

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 #261 trips

Postby Mark D » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:23 pm

September 8, 2018 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm
September 9, 2018 10:30 am to 5:00 pm

Trips are intended to help raise funds to design and develop PTC for the 261.

Details here; https://261.com/excursions/gourmet-express/

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Millhouse
Conductor

Re: Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 #261 trips

Postby Millhouse » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:39 pm

Was wondering how the group was doing with that...the PTC.

Probably can't go due to increasingly bad health and family issues... would there be a general way to donate for the PTC development, Mark?

Robert T
Conductor

Postby Robert T » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:15 pm

There is a Gofundme page set up to donate for the installation of PTC on the 261.

https://www.gofundme.com/261-PTC

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:52 am

I like the gourmet twist to this excursion. The thing you have to remember with such an adventure is to keep the quality very high. TVRM once ran dinner trains with catered barbecue and canned soda to drink. Finally the boss at the time was convinced to do things right and since the food has been prepared onboard and is excellent. The service is at least as good. The result is something I would have never thought would work in Chattanooga is one of our best attractions including the dining service on the long excursions. Several years ago the private car people were in town for a convention and TVRM took them for a ride through north Georgia. Our conductor told me one of their people told him we really knew how to run a passenger train. Believe me people notice.

A shortline I know once tried to do dinner trains out of a tourist oriented location with lots of affluent people who could easily afford the prices. The food was catered and brought onto the train before departure. If you ask for a Coke you got a Sam's club cola in the can plopped onto your table. The railroad offered good equipment but mostly ran in a rather unattractive area and often along the roads the passengers had driven to get to the area. After the locals rode the train once they ran out of passengers and the operation did not last long. The moral is unless you have some very good scenery to distract peoples attention you had better serve a quality product.

The 261 group obviously has some very nice equipment. I am sure the dining experience is going to be first class. I wish I could see it and will be anxiously waiting to hear the results of the trip. This is the type of thing that will bring people back as well as keep new people coming.

John Bohon

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:20 pm

Robert T wrote:There is a Gofundme page set up to donate for the installation of PTC on the 261.

https://www.gofundme.com/261-PTC

Thanks for the link... donation made.
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:41 am

Since this time is advertising gourmet it will be at least a couple level higher in quality from the standard fare that is normally served.
However, anyone who has been on one of our trips might say that the quality and service is normally close to gourmet.
I suspect that as normal the food served in the upper classes of tickets will be of a higher class than that which is served in coach class. But then, what the hexx do I know? - I never get back into the cars on trips. Or even when they're sitting in the yard. I have no clue what goes on back there except from what I hear or read from those who rode the trip.

But on the other hand, I don't think we've ever handed out box lunches. Normally most food is prepared in kitchens in the cars that have kitchens. We have chef's who prepare the food.
But in this case, maybe it will be prepared off site and brought to the train. I don't know. I do know, or believe, the food will meet, or more likely, exceed our normal fare which does get compliments on ever trip we operate.
We also have wine tasting sessions in the upper class/s.

Mark D.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:59 am

As it turns out, along with our two chef's to feed hungry passengers a decent meal, there are going to be two other chef's from some high class restaurants around town. Not sure where they are from, but I've met one of them already.
The fare should be top notch.
Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:44 pm

The food sounds great. It takes a lot of behind the scenes work ad planning to pull off feeding a train load of people. Congratulations to your staff.

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”