261 Runs This Weekend

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

261 Runs This Weekend

Postby Mark D » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:45 am

Right about now they're laying the fire. Someone will build a slow fire. I'll be on it at 10:00 tonight 'till probably late morning. By around that time the pressure will be wherever Steve says to set it. And I'll be bored to tears - hopefully. Operating this weekend on TC&W.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Mark D
Conductor

Re: 261 Runs This Weekend

Postby Mark D » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:24 pm

I was smart enough to bring a book along.
Mark D.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:17 am

And I'll be on it tonight around 11:00 until someone comes to relieve me.
I'll finish reading the book I started night before last. I think I'll bring another one. Don't want to run out of reading material.
I'm thinking about hanging it up after this year.

Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby SOO2719 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:59 pm

Hey Mark,

I just donated to the GoFundMe page for the 261's PTC fundraiser. I will be seeing you all tomorrow but not Sunday due to other commitments then.
I have not decided yet where I will be catching the train on its outbound run. Hopkins? Eden Prairie? Chanhassesn? Decisions, decisions. :D
Sorry to hear this may be your last year volunteering.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:14 pm

I will be in Chanhassen, down at Powers Boulevard. See you all soon.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:50 am

Lucky for you that you did Saturday and not Sunday. On Sunday the TC&W had a derailment on the line that held us back for several hours. Several cars derailed, but one had a truck drop out of the car and they had to get a crane out there to lift the car, put the truck back under it, re-rail it and then clear the track before we could continue our journey. That caused us to have to cut the trip a bit short so the guests could get back to Harrison street during daylight. To compensate for the shorter trip we gave them two run-by's at Bongard's,
Two new dome cars made their debut this past weekend. Restored from near scrap value they are stainless steel Budd cars that from what I've heard came down from Canada where they had been languishing on some side track for decades. There is another that needs restoration at the shop, but don't know what will actually happen to it. My own thinking is that recent changes at Amtrak might play a part in its ultimate fate.

Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Hey Mark,

That's too bad. I heard about the derailment on another forum. You all were stopped across from Pizza Luce at Blake Road in Hopkins?
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:28 am

Actually we were stopped at several places starting at Hopkins' former depot area. I don't know what's there now.
From there we ran slowly down the tracks to alleviate boredom on the passengers until we stopped again somewhere west. Slowly in this case is slower than the track speed limit which is already slow - I forget if it's 30 mph or 40 mph. Maybe both in different areas. Anyway, we eventually got to Bongards where we dropped off the passengers and left them there and went home.... not really. We gave them two photo run-by's. To catch up on lost time we did not run farther than Bongards, which we normally go past to some town farther away. I don't know the name of the town. Don't care. I just go where the choo choo goes. This weekend it will be more of the same.

Mark D.

Return to “General Discussion”