MTM #328 is done

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

MTM #328 is done

Postby Mark D » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:53 am

The engine that started the whole thing at the Minnesota Transportation Museum will no longer operate. Entire boiler is just plain worn out and would need a total replacement before it could possibly run again. From what I was told, that would cost right around $1M. MTM is not interested in trying to find that sort of money for just one old and tired steam engine. Thus, stuffed and mounted will apparently be the way it goes.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Millhouse
Conductor

Re: MTM #328 is done

Postby Millhouse » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:45 pm

Hmmmm...wonder what's to become of NP 2156, then. Just kind of sat in pieces in the Jackson Street Roundhouse for quite a long while now. Could easily see the circumstances going the same way.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:06 pm

There is almost nobody at MTM who cares a whit about operating steam. They have become all about diesel switchers, old fashioned street cars and broken down rail cars. I probably exaggerate, but I make the point.
Also, if anyone wants to work on a steam engine the board of directors require so much of this and so much of that training before they're allowed to open the smoke box door.
For that reason all the steam just sits and rusts. BOD really does not want the steam operating.

That's why the 261 keeps running... If you say "Yeah, I can do that" you're on it.
That is also overstating how it really goes, but I make the point.

Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby SOO2719 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 pm

I think MTM has no steam simply because Canadian National, which took over steam-friendly Wisconsin Central in 2001, is not know for being hospitable to steam excursions (though once upon time they were).
I remember the 328 at Osceola twenty years ago. She was grand under steam.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:57 am

I could be wrong, but I do believe 328 has been used in service in the past during the tenure of CN. In any case, the boiler is done and they have no plans to put it back in service.

Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:13 pm

I have found that if somebody really wants to do an engine they generally find a way to get the money and the people to get the work done. I would have to see for myself that the boiler is completely shot but it is an old engine so that is a possibility. I think some use that as an excuse to not work on engines they do not want to work on. The rules today are pretty flexible and there are more ways than ever to fix boilers. Usually it is the firebox and fluesheets that are in true need of replacement. I am not sure about the past but from what I remember neither Canadian road is particularly friendly to steam these days. If that is the case there is no point in fixing an engine with no place to go. Either way I would rather see the group leave the engine in one piece rather than take it apart and have another kit engine laying around to get scrapped or find a savior to put it back together.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:23 pm

I agree with what you said, John. But one thing sticks in my mind that says they have trackage rights onto a spur somewhere along the Wisconsin border - in the Stillwater area. I've never been there, never seen it, but IIRC I was told this, so I could be way out in left field.

Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:10 pm

The Stillwater line was donated to MTM by the Burlington Northern back in the 1980s. The line was operated by MTM until early in the 1990s, when NIMBY pressure compelled them to find another place to operate train excursions as so wound up in Osceola, Wisconsin, on the Wisconsin Central. Now that Canadian National owns the WC, diesel-only operations have been the norm.
Meanwhile, NIMBYs or not, the Stillwater line was home to the Minnesota Zephyr dinner train until that ceased operation a number of years ago. Now the line is yet another trail.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:23 am

Were the rails pulled up?
I recall when the dinner train stopped operating... Just shortly after we had repaired a couple of their cars that could no longer even roll. I don't know if Steve ever got paid for the work and wheels.
Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:32 pm

Yes, the rails are up and a trail is in, save for a short stretch by the Stillwater depot, where a former Valley Fair trolley sits awaiting final disposition.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:12 pm

By the way, I wonder what happened to the two diesels that were used for that dinner train(?) They weren't in the best condition, but they did run. Only diesels, but still I would hope they weren't scrapped, which is probably what their fate probably was by my guess and the fact that I always expect the worst on anything. That way you're pleasantly surprised when things turn out for the best.

Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:53 pm

Iowa Pacific bought the whole Minnesota Zephyr set, including the F-units.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:07 am

Thanks Tony, I forgot where the equipment went. I rode the Rio Grande Scenic recently and may have seen some of the equipment in Alamosa.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:50 pm

So that is where the train wound up. Thanks, Tom.
Speaking of N.P. 328 and trails, John Hill photographed her on the point of an excursion descending Chaska Hill on the former Minneapolis & St. Louis main line in 1984. Today this too is a rail trail. I wish I could have ridden down and up Chaska Hill on this train. (Sigh)

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1245402
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Return to “General Discussion”