First Steam Up - Westerm Maryland #1309 2-6-6-2

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

First Steam Up - Westerm Maryland #1309 2-6-6-2

Postby Millhouse » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Last I'd checked, work and funds were on lockdown for this locomotive, but sure enough, Trains has the scoop (and a photo) on her first steam-up.

Trains Article
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/10/03-western-maryland-scenic-test-fires-2-6-6-2-no-1309

John Bohon
Conductor

Re: First Steam Up - Westerm Maryland #1309 2-6-6-2

Postby John Bohon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Gary Bensman has been plugging away at the boiler nearly all along. Now it is a matter of putting the kit back together. Included in that process is going to be machining of the driver axles, probably the crankpins, and driver box machining and repair. I would say this group is probably still at least a year away from operation and perhaps not until 2020. Of course it depends on how many people they can afford to put on the 1309 how fast it can be completed. From here the machinists and pipefitters have their work cut out for them. With no other compound engines running in the east this is one we all need to go see when it is finished. It will be unique in that respect. The railroad is impressive in itself and worth a trip to see.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:41 am

It appears from what I've read on this thread is that they don't have any worthwhile volunteers? There are people out there with the necessary skills who would do it for just the chance to work on a steam engine. That can speed up the time frame. It is a given that they likely don't have the machinery to do the axles and driving boxes and such, but tons of other things can be done by people with mechanical skills and can do a job with about a half hour or less of training on that particular job.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:12 am

I am not sure about volunteers and the WMSR. If I remember correctly they are a for profit corporation but I am probably wrong about that too. To run a railroad like they have and operate the number of trains and the amount of equipment they have almost requires the use of employees. Like TVRM, volunteers contribute a great deal but without the employees they could not come close to being the operation they are today. Cumberland is sort of off the beaten path and certainly in a more rural area so there just are not that many potential volunteers likely to show up on a regular basis. For the most part it is usually easier to get volunteers to do fun things like running the train or being car hosts and more difficult to get them to run a grinder for hours at a time or put in crossties. In the best situations there is some sort of balance between volunteers doing the fun things and the not so fun things. There just are not many idiots like me around who like to do the heavy repair work on steam locomotives but when the engine is done walk away and leave the "fun" to others. I like to see and hear the steam engines run but have absolutely no desire to be on a moving train or engine at all. I know in the past WMSR used volunteers but I really can not say how many if any they still have today. Hopefully they make the best use of any volunteers they may have and that is about all you can do with folks who will put up with so much but have nothing to lose if they walk away.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:27 am

Well put, John.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”