Terms

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Terms

Postby Mark D » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:06 am

I was reading on another railroad based board where someone asked what was done with the "steam generator" when rebuilding a steam locomotive.
He took a lot of crap from those high and mighty who know all. They turned it into a steam generator as in generating steam and went on to tell how much work it is to put a steam generator back in service. Well, in my view those high and mighty were also wrong. In todays world a boiler is what you see on a steam locomotive, but not a 'steam generator'. In todays world a 'steam generator is a device that has no real boiler casing, but rather a series of tubes, sometimes just one coil, which heats water that enters the coil by either gas or electric elements. They are steam on demand and as soon as it's shut down it cools off. You can find them in most industrial supply houses.
But they were just giving the guy crap because he did use a wrong term.
He really wanted to know what goes on when a steam dynamo on a steam engine that is being restored to service. How much is it to get the dynamo reliably useful.
And, as expected by those who do know, the dynamo has probably been setting for many decades and winding insulation is iffy at best. Best thing to do is take the dynamo to a qualified electric motor service and have it completely rewound and all moving parts and wearing parts renewed or replaced.
Otherwise, the dynamo on a steam engine is probably the most reliable part of a steam locomotive Some locomotives have two dynamo's.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Fitz
Conductor

Re: Terms

Postby Fitz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:30 am

Those kinds of criticism are getting more and more common on those other rail sites. Some people seem to have to challenge anything that is posted.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:55 pm

At least the one who started the thread took it in good humor. After that, he got the answers he wanted.

Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:12 pm

I do not know if I have the words to answer this or not but I will try. The absolute lack of civility and manners in this country today is appalling. What is more surprising is that it often seems to be our older generations who are least able to conduct themselves in a civil manner. I remember growing up with TV shows where the good guys always won and the shows for children tried to instill the proper way to conduct yourself in public. How those lessons have been lost to so many is beyond me.

Some, perhaps much, of the blame for the severity of the problem today has to rest on our so called leaders. Politicians lobbing insults across the isles like the cannonade before Pickets charge at Gettysburg is certainly not teaching people the proper way to act in public. Worse is that those insults are more appropriate for a middle school locker room than in our nations capital. Leaders should lead and that should be their first duty. Perhaps worse still is that both sides are being politically smart and are playing to their base. What the hell does that say about a huge swath of the population of our country? Political views aside it is embarrassing to me that the most frequent violator of proper behavior is our president and that his base seems to love such behavior.

I no longer participate in many internet groups because of the lack of decorum. In the case of RyPN there seems to be one individual who can say or do what he wishes and the rest have to obey the rules. Others just seem to be a wild free for all. Fortunately this site out grew that with the current moderation and the smaller group who want to have a decent site in which to exchange ideas. That is why I stay.

How we get beyond this mess so many in our society seem to think is normal behavior is beyond me. I had hoped social medial would be a good thing but today I think it is not. Good or bad it is here to stay. In my very early days in this industry I somehow realized it I wanted to see steam engines run in my old age younger people needed to be brought in and treated properly. More than 40 years ago after running trains all day at I would take the lite steam engine out at night and let the trainees run the locomotive back and forth as long as they wanted to. It gave them a chance to do what they wanted to do most and kept them coming back. I was all of 20 at the time. Several became career railroaders in one place or another. Today in most organizations the rules simply would not allow that to be done.

How do we keep young people coming back if we can not act mature ourselves? I think it is important for our generation to forget what we see going on outside of our control and continue to treat people with respect and dignity just as we want to be treated. Perhaps if enough people start considering others the situation will slowly turn around. Beyond that we may need to think harder about who we vote into leadership positions in the future. That does not only mean our government but also in many cases applies to the organizations we hope will keep the hobby going well into the future. Refusing to participate in internet groups, especially financially, is the way I have chosen to fight my fight. I suppose each individual has to choose their weapons and fights for themselves but they need to keep in mind the future of our industry may depend on their choices.

John Bohon

John Bohon

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Well said, John. You do have the words. Some of us still act as we did many years ago and treat people with respect, but lately it has become very disturbing seeing how people act. What do they get out of that type of behavior?

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 pm

I'm wondering about Todd at Trainorders. He used to run a tight ship and didn't put up with much, if any, nonsense. I've noticed though that the roster of members there seems to be slipping too. You can tell because each day is in one bracket. It used to be normal to have fifty topics in a day on any of the forums. Those were the days.
I think people are sort of moving to other things, not interested in railroading anymore. Or maybe it's because it's difficult to see good pictures when you're working the boards with a cell phone.
That doesn't do anything about the rudeness in discussion forums, but perhaps the cell phone madness causes people to become less civil.
I also sign in on another phpbb board titled Antique Radio Forums. It has about ten different forums for different topics on antique radios. Any sort of antique radios. One can learn a lot in that forum. It is mostly older men, but there are younger people trying to learn how to get a 1930's Philco to work again. From there they're hooked. I started out in radios at the age of ten when I found an ancient Aetna two band radio lying in a junk pile at a marina. I asked if I could have it and they said sure, go for it. I still have it.
And a collection of dozens. I attended an electronics school (Northwestern Institute of Electronics. I learned a lot that I don't need to know anymore because nobody repairs electronic stuff anymore. It's use it and toss it.
But the guys there are all civil and the moderator is the owner of the entire thing and he doesn't take any crap.
It is common for things to go off topic on one of the boards, which is titled 'The Clubhouse' Anything goes there except incivility or foul language, or if someone else has started a topic on the same topic on another thread.

That whole set of forums operates on the same as this board and RyPN. PhPBB

There is another thing going on. Again, because of cell phones people are using bulletin's as much as a decade back. They're all on Facebook and twitter.

Mark D.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:03 pm

This is somewhat off topic, but Mark, do you have to buy vacuum tubes for the old radios? I remember getting my grandfather's radio working and seems like 6BG6's were tubes I had to buy. Does anyone manufacture them anymore?

Al_Seever
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby Al_Seever » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:50 am

Sometimes I miss Trainorders, but then I start remembering the negativity, and other issues. No thanks. Been gone a few years. "There are no dumb questions." is something I try to remember. We need to see each others humanity, and be chill with others. There's a human being typing these messages.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, MN

Return to “General Discussion”