How Much Sound Travels - If You Want it to

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

How Much Sound Travels - If You Want it to

Postby Mark D » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:08 am

I live approximately five miles north of the BNSF line that goes west to somewhere, and I live approximately the same amount of miles south from the Canadian Pacific Railway.
If there is little or no wind, I can hear not only their whistles, (horns) but the engines themselves.
I can also hear approximately where they are along the line.
That's how it is out in the country except during harvest season when all the machinery is running to get the crops out of the ground. Even then, sometimes there's a lull in the harvest and I can hear the trains.
And my wife thinks I'm deaf!

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Re: How Much Sound Travels - If You Want it to

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:58 pm

My grandfather (a farmer) used to be able to tell the weather by train sounds. If he could hear the train whistle (yes, steam whistle) as the train crossed "Rush Creek" then it was going to rain the next day.

As for you -- well... you have trains in your blood, thus you can hear them.

Your wife thinks you are deaf because as we males grow older we lose our ability to hear higher frequencies and women's voices tend to lose the lower frequencies. So when she says, "What do you want for dinner?" you answer "Yes dear, I do."
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:09 pm

Actually, I can hear very high pitch sounds. I can't hear her at times because I'm engrossed in thought and I'm not hearing anything in the background.
But, to add to that, I will normally have my train of thought interrupted if a light aircraft with a rumbling sound that, to my ears, might sound like an aircraft with a round motor (radial engine - cool things, far more cool than a train) I've been known to rush to the door and look up in the sky to see it. Unfortunately we don't live out in the plain's so during the time there are leaves on the trees I seldom get to see if I'm right or if I'm wrong. I have seen some at times. Way cool! Wife? She doesn't hear anything outside of the TV or the phone. Or me if I say something she doesn't like. :-) (just kidding, but not far from truth)
But every light aircraft that fly's over my house, or nearly, I think back to my days of flying. It just got too expensive as my income made an equal change in the other direction. Airplane and boat on Lake Superior had to go.
Just in time, along came the Milwaukee Road steam engine 261 to give me something fun to do once again. Now that appears to be coming to a closure too as it becomes much more difficult to operate these days.
That's ok, though, because I'm also getting pretty darned old too. I'll go back to my 'hi fi' and good old Rock and Roll. Wife hates it and hates music, but she's normally gone during the day playing Marjong (or something like that) with her girl friends.
But I'm getting off topic.
The end.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:16 pm

"MORE COOL THAN TRAINS"???????

Go wash your mouth out with some steam oil.

My problem is that my left ear hears low frequencies better than high, and my right ear hears high frequencies better than low. Makes it very difficult to find something in the sky because I can't locate it by sound. When I hear what sounds like an olde-timey airplane, I have no idea where in the sky to look and, more often than not, miss seeing it, or don't locate it until it is way too far away to tell if it was a biplane, or something a bit newer.
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:45 pm

Mark, how far is my sound going?

Return to “General Discussion”