OT, Happy Thanksgiving

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Fitz
Conductor

OT, Happy Thanksgiving

Postby Fitz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:55 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all who still frequent this board. Have a wonderful and thankful day.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Re: OT, Happy Thanksgiving

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Had an early lunch out with family... A happy day to be sure. Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving too.
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:42 am

Yeah, Thanks for Giving...
I had to drive two hours each way to my wife's sisters place for a typical Thanksgiving dinner. Four hours driving in the dark with scattered ice patches on U.S. Hwy. 12, oh how fun. Been there done that thousands of times, but I've never liked it. The worst thing about it is the drivers who go way overboard on their slow speed, so frightened by little patches of ice, or the occasional slushy snow. On the way home we got behind a train of vehicles that was at least a mile long, all going 39 to 45 (most people can't even hold a steady speed) mph while the highway conditions were perfectly good for around 60. But the line got shorter and shorter as we went west toward Litchfield and the speed got better and better. Still, it took an extra close to another hour to get home.

At least while going there traffic was light and we did make it in two hours. And that's about all I can recall Thanksgiving 2019. Oh, yeah, we did sit down for a nice dinner. That's about it.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:39 pm

I'd say you're gettin' old, Mark, but if you are still stuck behind (instead of leading) the slow drivers then you ain't that old enough yet to know to slow down in bad weather.

I posted the following on another web site and feel like sharing it here...

-----------------------
I have turkey 3 or 4 times a week these days, just sandwiches made from Oscar Meyer Carving Board turkey (thicker slices than the "shaved turkey" of the other brands). These days, I have turkey burgers every Saturday, and sliced turkey sandwiches on Thursday, and maybe a couple of other days, too.

Sundays, I often heat a package of Brown and Serve rolls in the oven while I use the microwave to (separately) heat:

1. the Carving Board turkey slices,
2. a jar of turkey gravy (store brand dumped into a bowl),
3. a container of frozen Bob Evans single serve mashed potatoes,
4. a can of green beans (dumped into a bowl).
But, on Thanksgiving, I use the microwave make a box of Stove Top turkey stuffing. I can have Thanksgiving dinner ready in about 30 to 45 minutes.

It is good, but can't hold a candle to the meals my Mom used to cook for Thanksgiving...

When I was a kid, turkey was a once a year treat, and Mom would drive us nuts overnight before Thanksgiving roasting a big turkey in the oven. The aroma was WONDERFUL... then the relatives began to show up. At noon, we'd all sit around the dining room table (and a card table in the corner for us young folk), But there were so many people sitting elbow to elbow that there was no room on the table to put food, so all three levels of the kitchen serving cart was filled with the serving dishes. Mom would start passing them around while Dad carved the turkey (I swear, Normal Rockwell must have been peeking in the window!). By the time the dishes got back to Dad to put on the cart, the ones at the beginning were already asking for the bowls to go around again for seconds.

The first time I was seated at the table (because some out-of-town relatives were snowed in), after the bowls had gone around twice, I remember my brother-in-law, at the far end of the table, saying, "Hey, pass me a biscuit." But, we were all so busy stuffing our mouths that only Dad paid any attention. Dad reached into the basket of rolls (Mom's 3-lobe Yeast Biscuits) and literally "Passed" the biscuit the length of the table and the brother-in-law caught it!

The whole table fell silent!

My brother and I were seated across from Mom and next to Dad (at the head of the table). Mom stared at me, "Charles!", she spoke in that voice only Moms can use; SCARED the wits out of me. Wide eyed from the implied guilt, all I could do was swallow the mouthful of turkey and shake my head. Then she turned to my brother, "David!" -- again with that withering voice. He was better prepared than I was and said, "But we didn't do it!"

Dad saved us, "He said 'PASS me a biscuit', so, since everybody was busy eating, I did!"

They say, 'Laughter helps the digestion'. Everybody at the table had no trouble digesting that wonderful Thanksgiving dinner.

Oh God in heaven, I miss Mom's turkey, and stuffing, and mashed potatoes, and gravy, and green beans, and corn, and those 3-lobe Yeast Biscuits, but that was 63 years ago. I have tried to duplicate the meal many times on my own. (I can never get the biscuits right; Brown and Serve just ain't Mom's 3-lobe Yeast Biscuits!)

But most of all, I miss sitting at table with that family.

Thank you Lord God for a wonderful childhood.
----------------------
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:10 pm

Very nice, Charles. Family meals are always an experience.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Charles, your rendition of Thanksgiving is almost a copy of my experiences as a kid. But I'm not well acquainted with my wife's extended family and therefor nothing to say or do while I'm there other than eat at the table.

By the way, I do know when and how much to slow down based on road conditions. seventy one years old, but I still know how to handle a car in a bad situation. Started out in go-karts as a minor kid, and after my teens which were great fun drag racing on back paved highways, then got legal and raced the dirt ovals for many years. Won a lot of trophy's. I still have my last engine. I sold the car when the local track was sold and turned into a short drag strip. I could have raced on tracks farther from home, and I did from time to time, but it's a long drive to any of them, so I would only show up if there was a good pay-out.

But I kept the engine and it's waiting for me to put it in to something light, like a Chevelle, or something akin for some fun on the highways. Mostly just to burn rubber at a specific spot on a back highway where a drunk killed two young guys and maimed a girl of the same age. They were driving the way normal people drive, heading home to the town of Watkins from Litchfield where they had gone for supper at McDonald's. The totally drunk in a pickup truck crossed the center line just as they were approaching him, and the result was mayhem.
That was about five years ago now, and people who can are burning off a bit of rubber to simulate the rubber that happened when the driver of the car with the three people in it slammed on the brakes. Plus more rubber streaks as both vehicles slid around and off the highway.

As to driving too fast on slippery roads, I know all about that too. The thing here is that the roads weren't in all that bad of shape. I wouldn't want to be going 65 (normal speed on U.S. 12) on a 55 zone. 65 because in Minnesota we have this law named the Dimmler Law. He got the state legislature to pass a law that allows people to drive up to 10 mph over the speed limit in a 55 or 60 marked highway. The cops can still give you a ticket, but it doesn't get passed on to the insurance companies. People who know this do take advantage of it. I am one of those.

The highway was not in bad shape. There were scattered places where slush slapped the car, but traction was never a problem. The lead car was driving, what? about 40. And with a mile long pile up behind him proves that I wasn't the only one that wanted to get by him. And to ad insult to injury, he was one of the last 6 cars that were in front of me by the time we were approaching the small city of Cokato. Look it up on a road map. It's on the way to Litchfield, west of Minneapolis
The thing was, that driver was overreacting because the occasional pile of slop on the road. Even there the cars had plenty of traction because it was mainly just toward the center line, so the two right wheels have plenty of traction. Enough to handle that little bit of slush
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”