Missed it by that much...

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Al_Seever
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Missed it by that much...

Postby Al_Seever » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:43 pm

I was in Albuquerque, NM on January 15th. ATSF 2926 was steamed up the day before. Darn.
*facepalm*

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... e-blowdown

Al Seever
Minneapolis, MN

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Missed it by that much...

Postby Mark D » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:26 am

The big IF is; Do they have trackage to operate on? Most of the big steam have nowhere to operate because of the new head of Amtrak.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Al_Seever
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby Al_Seever » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 pm

Hi Mark! Yeah, that's the million dollar question. The New Mexico commuter train runs up to Santa Fe. There's a wye further along at French that could handle the locomotive. With enough funding and legal contracts with BNSF, I bet the locomotive could be moved hot to the Grand Canyon Railway. They've come this far. Let's hope for the best.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, MN

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:03 pm

I keep reading about the possibility of 2926 going to Grand canyon but that railroad does not seem to be overly interested in running their own steam engine much less that of someone else. In addition they are an environmentally friendly company and run their engines on french fry oil or something like that. I doubt 2926 will be equipped to run on that and wonder if the GC would be interested in running an oil fired locomotive. I also question the BNSF wanting a steam locomotive on their mainline and potentially delaying their high speed traffic. I am just not sure all that is going to happen but it would be great if it did. There are certainly a lot of ifs ands and buts to the operation of 2926 but that can be said for nearly all of the mainline steam engines these days. One thing is for sure. If the locomotive is not ready to run when the possibility comes along nothing will ever happen.

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”