.22LR Suppressor build

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: Harold_V, JackF, GeorgeGaskill

User avatar
Dave_C
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:34 am
Location: Springfield. MO.

Re: .22LR Suppressor build

Postby Dave_C » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Thread cleaned up to avoid argumentative posting! It wasn't helping the OP

Have a nice day,

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.

chrismunn
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: .22LR Suppressor build

Postby chrismunn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:40 pm

Ah man, did I miss a spirited debate? You didn't have to delete anything, I enjoy reading a good and heavily spirited debate!

I will say this, growing up in the state of CA and listening to the everyday goings on of armchair law regarding firearms, you'd think it a certainty to end up in prison if you even consider purchasing a firearm! (especially so up north in the Bay Area where I'm originally from) At least that's what I gathered as a kid. Even at the age of 24 I didn't even know I was eligible to own a firearm in that state tho I did recognize that guns weren't quite as illegal as I had thought. Turns out there are just restrictions, every state has them. Now, as an adult in Texas, i carry a concealed handgun just about every where I go. I didn't even think this was possible, then I went ahead and researched the law for myself and whoa, who knew? With the right training and appropriate taxes I'm well within my legal right to own and carry on my person a concealed (and now openly) firearm! But as with anything that's heavily regulated by law you'd damn well better understand the law before you go messin' around! I understand this and feel like I'm responsible enough to stay well within compliance. It's just a matter of understanding the law and keeping updated on changes in laws regarding these types of happenings. It's a lot of responsibility but I'm down with it :) And if I ever feel like I don't feel like keeping up with the changing laws anymore then I can turn the thing into the ATF and it won't be my problem anymore.

User avatar
Dave_C
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:34 am
Location: Springfield. MO.

Re: .22LR Suppressor build

Postby Dave_C » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:47 pm

chrismum,

Go Texas! I have a brother who lives there and I've been to Houston to visit as well.

I cleaned up my comments as they weren't contributing to your original post and I didn't want it to turn into a useless bunch of garbage.

I'm a shooter, have my CCW, love the 2nd amendment but see no point in pushing my opinion on other people who might wish to make a big deal out of nothing.

You seem to be on the right track with how to approach the silencer and the laws involved.

I wish you well,

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.

chrismunn
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: .22LR Suppressor build

Postby chrismunn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:01 pm

Dave_C wrote:chrismum,

Go Texas! I have a brother who lives there and I've been to Houston to visit as well.

I cleaned up my comments as they weren't contributing to your original post and I didn't want it to turn into a useless bunch of garbage.

I'm a shooter, have my CCW, love the 2nd amendment but see no point in pushing my opinion on other people who might wish to make a big deal out of nothing.

You seem to be on the right track with how to approach the silencer and the laws involved.

I wish you well,

Dave C.


All good buddy!

MasterMaker
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:38 pm
Location: Too far north for comfort!

Re: .22LR Suppressor build

Postby MasterMaker » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:06 pm


heavyg603
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:17 pm
Location: NH

Re: .22LR Suppressor build

Postby heavyg603 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm in the middle of building a Form 1 suppressor for my 300AAC. (I am using titanium tubing btw, what a pain) and stainless baffles. If the hearing protection act passes I expect this will be a regular activity :) A 22LR one will be my next in that case

Ranb wrote:
Dave_C wrote:I will just say this: There are cases of law abiding persons who lost legally owned and permitted guns who were traveling through another state who used their local laws to take private property for law abiding citizens.

I'd heard of things like that happening. But since you commented in a thread devoted to making registered silencers I just assumed you had relevant information on actual problems associated with that activity. I see that you do not.

In a section of the forum devoted to firearms I had not expected to find anyone who would try discourage any lawful activity by suggesting it was risky. I on the other hand will continue to openly and enthusiastically exercise my 2nd amendment rights and encourage others to do so.

User avatar
ctwo
Posts: 2480
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Silly Cone Valley

Re: .22LR Suppressor build

Postby ctwo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Some of the discussion here serves a valid purpose - how confusing firearm laws really are. I recall the state of SF banned BB guns, you could have a 12ga shotgun in the trunk but not a daisy spring action BB gun. I thought suppressors were illegal in CA too. I'd like to have one or a few, but then they would serve me no purpose as the arms alone are so heavily restricted there is no use for them. What I fear more than the gun laws here are the knife laws.

I wonder if Chaski should take a formal stand on the legality of the topics of discussion in this forum with a statement in a sticky? I know there was a machinist recently busted in CA for his involvement in finish machining of AR15 lowers - he apparently had a CNC and thought allowing the customer to press the start cycle button would clear him of illegally mfg firearms.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...

heavyg603
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:17 pm
Location: NH

Re: .22LR Suppressor build

Postby heavyg603 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Nothing illegal about building a suppressor if you are following the laws. Also, many states including mine have legalized them for hunting. If CA was smart they'd get behind the hearing protection act since one thing a suppressor can do is reduce the flash and resultant fire risk. I feel bad for Californians that cannot fully exercise their rights, but I won't be pausing mine for them.

Have to know the laws around whatever you are making, firearms parts and accessories are no different. Don't want to run afoul of ITAR either and you'd be surprised what's covered under that.

ctwo wrote:Some of the discussion here serves a valid purpose - how confusing firearm laws really are. I recall the state of SF banned BB guns, you could have a 12ga shotgun in the trunk but not a daisy spring action BB gun. I thought suppressors were illegal in CA too. I'd like to have one or a few, but then they would serve me no purpose as the arms alone are so heavily restricted there is no use for them. What I fear more than the gun laws here are the knife laws.

I wonder if Chaski should take a formal stand on the legality of the topics of discussion in this forum with a statement in a sticky? I know there was a machinist recently busted in CA for his involvement in finish machining of AR15 lowers - he apparently had a CNC and thought allowing the customer to press the start cycle button would clear him of illegally mfg firearms.

Happycamper
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:00 pm

Re: .22LR Suppressor build

Postby Happycamper » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am

Nothing illegal federally about machining your own semi AR receiver for your own use either, or building your own rifle or pistol.

jcarmon
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: .22LR Suppressor build

Postby jcarmon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:14 pm

I'm getting ready to build a can for my 6.5 Grendel,and 6mm Creedmore. Thought I'd post it here and get you guys opinion. Its my first form 1 build, and I really don't want to screw it up. Both barrels are 26 inches, so it will never see muzzle pressure over 4800psi. What you think?

https://goo.gl/photos/BoeUcK9RDjSBxsPQ8

heavyg603
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:17 pm
Location: NH

Re: .22LR Suppressor build

Postby heavyg603 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:12 pm

jcarmon wrote:I'm getting ready to build a can for my 6.5 Grendel,and 6mm Creedmore. Thought I'd post it here and get you guys opinion. Its my first form 1 build, and I really don't want to screw it up. Both barrels are 26 inches, so it will never see muzzle pressure over 4800psi. What you think?

https://goo.gl/photos/BoeUcK9RDjSBxsPQ8


Are you planning on holding it together with small screws or is that just a mark on the drawing ? if your baffles are stacked, you don't need to hold them still like that just the pressure from the caps should do it. Just FYI, there are some serious pressures at play in a suppressor (I'm sure you know this). My first attempt at threaded endcaps and using too fine a thread resulted in an interesting tube launch lol. Second one (once I realized what I did) worked much better.

jcarmon
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: .22LR Suppressor build

Postby jcarmon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:53 pm

I'm planning to bore my end cap, baffles, and mount 5/16s, and use a piece of threaded rod to hold tension on the whole stack. when I slide them down the inside of the tube, it will hold them straight, and the rod will hold them tight together. The set screws should hold everything in place, and tight. I'm going to use 9 rows of screws every 15 degrees around the tube, so they'll be 216 small set screws. I did almost the same tube design when I made my 7 inch muzzle brake. The set screws stick out just enough to give it some texture when you need to grip it. the muzzle end is a 1-1/4 inch reflex mount, with a 1-1/2 inch blast chamber. The threads are 3/4-24, and because of the reflex mount, cant be cross-threaded. The whole mount is 4 inches long, and 1-3/4 inches of it is inside the tube. Should be pretty strong.


Return to “Gunsmithing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests