Destroying ammunitions

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

12L14

Re: Destroying ammunitions

Post by 12L14 »

Good and long movie etc., some gloves and bucket - snaping 22lr in half is easier than breaking peanuts ;)
Tool&die maker since yesterday ;)
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Where is the movie?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

steamin10 wrote:Where is the movie?
I think you're supposed to provide the movie---to be watched while you cut the rounds in half.

Personally, I don't consider that a resolution, as I'd be interested in salvaging both the case and lead, for reuse. You'd still have to free the upper portion of the case of the bullet.

I'm of the opinion that the bullet could be safely pulled, even by gripping the cartridge by the base, but it would require virtually 100% contact, so it couldn't collapse. A simple shell holder in a loading press, with the cartridge fed above the bushing in which one installs the dies. Grip the bullet with pliers and pull the cartridge downward. Fast, easy and most likely quite safe, especially considering that almost all rounds are duds.

Once the bullet was pulled (and powder dumped), you could set the rounds on a fire, in a steel container, to destroy the primer.

This, too, would benefit by watching a movie of interest. Something like "On Golden Pond" (a favorite of mine) 8)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

ID rather watch a Golden Blond or similar. My bad, I read into that a different meaning about watching the movie..

I have decided to go with the bulk hillbilly cookoff. I am cutting the Gong plate in the morning, 1/4 inch scrap steel. This is mostly due to the fear of boredom for the number to be neutralized. Several good options, Thanks guys.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

If your cooking them off there is no need for this caution, but just in case it comes up again; when watching the movie, DONT MIX UP THE BOWL OF POPCORN AND AMMUNITION!!

Post by 12345678910 »

Give the case a stroke or two with the edge of a file like a triangular file so you break through the case.

Put them in a container and cover with thin oil.- stir them up now and again.

Once the primer and power are soaked in oil, they will not go off.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Numbers: thanks for the shell killer. I think marking or drilling 800 rounds a bit tedious, and a crushing error on the rimfire can be a surprise I dont want. It is the reason I have chosen to cook then off. I have a scrap Revere Ware SS pressure cooker, without the lid. (A lead pot :) ) I have about a 10 ga piece of scrap plate to cut the (I wont use the word lid, as it wont seal anywhere near tight) lolipop shaped gong, will engage the rolled edges of the pot, and be drilled to fit a 1/4 inch bolt through the bare handle. That way it is secure enough not to rattle off, is vented, but should contain the flying brass bits, until the bullets melt, and it is all over. Whether they pop or not, now I just pour the waste through a hardware cloth to separate the brass bits from the bullet lead, and its all done. (In theory).

In theory, I was going to do this today with the fine 60+ weather, but find my gas torch is out of oxy, so a run to the gas house is needed Monday. Another $40 shot, pardon the pun.

Redneck: How think do u drunk I get when I do these things? The last time the guy said; Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, I thought it was my package being delivered. :wink: (I dont smoke, never did).
redneckalbertan

I thought it was now ATFE... Still should be the name of a store, not a government beauraucracy.
xo18thfa

Post by xo18thfa »

I've seen Army EOD guys fill a big bucket half full of sand, pour in some diesel fuel, put in the ammo and set it on fire. Easier then turning bad ammo back into the ammo dump.
Bob Sorenson, Harrisburg, South Dakota
akajun

Post by akajun »

I work for a Police Dept. All old unsafe ammo is destroyed by burning in a fire in an area about 50yds away from everything else . Put them loose in a cardboard box and throw it on the fire and run behind cover. The cardboard box will give you enough time to take cover. loose Burned bullets that detonate don' t have a lot of power and only fly a few feet, ans its usually the brass that becomes the projectile as its lighter than the bullet.
redneckalbertan

I saw this video come up accross my Facebook feed this weekend when this thread surfaced again I though I'd share it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

ronm

Post by ronm »

Interesting, thanks...