Better looking SKS

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

steamin10

Better looking SKS

Post by steamin10 »

Kodak Camera 204b.jpg
An SKS is a gas operated Semi auto Rifle from the Chicom world of wonder. made cheeply it is a good shooter in 7.62 x 39 NATO round. Also thought of as 7.62 Russ. A lot of Mil spec ammo was available before the anti assault rifle movement, so its history in gunning is a bit checkered.

This is a reliable shooter that has the common limits of iron sights. I like it generally because with the heavy bullet weight it is a good brush gun, and can out range the .223 in most cases. The problem is, there is no good place to mount any optics to improve your sight picture. If ya cant see it, you aint gonna hit it. So in the interest of gun control, I have been looking for an answer to this question. I found in my local gun store a spring block that covers the receiver and serves as a replacement to the bolt shield. It has a Picatini rail made on top, but has to be fitted to each gun, due to the generic design drift of the various manufacturers. My particular SKS has all machined pieces instead of bent sheet, excepting the 10 round integral ammo clip. When removed it will handle extended clips from beneath.

So, we begin work with stripping the spring block/receiver cover, by taking out the rear pin, that has a lever on it. Swinging it vertical, and sliding it to the right releases the block, and it come up and away from the breech, with the bolt return spring coming out full length. we now take the spring, two sliding bolt parts from the track, and the entire breech is clear. This is a simple mechanism, and hard to screw up, but is reputed to be fragile with short life from wear.

With the receiver clear of clutter, we can now start to fit out the new cover and sight mounts. As predicted, the block and pin hole are too far to the rear of the receiver, and must have it fitted forward about 1/16 to get the block to align with the rear of the action near flush, and get the machined cross pin to align.

i started in with a large Mill file, a sharp one, and began working the tapered end that fit under the ramp in the receiver to draw the entire piece forward. About two hours were spent in file and fit, so that angles and gaps remained true. Once the rear dimension showed a nearly perfect fit across the rear, it is discovered, the pin hole is still further back, more than a 64th. Since the pin hole has a key hole cut in it as part of the lock mechanism, just running a number drill through the hole will pull the hole out toward the missing material of the key hole. Drilling through the receiver, promises to oval the reciever holes, with undesired drift. For accuracy, this hole is critical to keeping the spring block tight in place, and movement under the scope is not an option. So in further checking, I reversed the cover, and found the pin will NOT slip through the hole. it is too small. So, what next.?

When working around guns, I tend to modify the added pieces, and leave the base features alone, so as to retore the gun to original profiles if my work , doesnt work. So it is with this. Since this rather aggravating fitting operation is now focused on a single hole, I have elected to use a Dremel and grinding stones, to move the hole forward for the final fit. by work holding the piece in a vertical alignment, I can control the stone to go straight down, and shift the hole the needed amount, while getting the pin size on dimension for the snug fit needed, to prevent rattle type movement. My margin of error is such that if I blow the dimensions of the fit, I lose a $40 gizmo, that can be replaced, for attempt #2 instead of junking up a fairly new (unused) rifle. More to come.
Kodak Camera 206b.jpg
Kodak Camera 208b.jpg
Attachments
Kodak Camera 203b.jpg
Last edited by steamin10 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Re: Better looking SKS

Post by steamin10 »

I spent about an hour with a dremel and opened up the locking pin hole a bit. Now the pin diameter is good, but the bottom keyhole, where the locking pn out the side goes through is under sized. in barely forcing the pin, it leaves two witness marks where it is tight.

So, I cant find my needle file set, that is the next step to clearance the bottom sides of the keyhole.. So in chasinf these Gremlins down, we are almost done with the fitting.

Thanks for lookin'.
Attachments
fitting under the ramp s bolt slide
fitting under the ramp s bolt slide
Kodak Camera 210b.jpg
Kodak Camera 211b.jpg
Kodak Camera 213b.jpg
Last edited by steamin10 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

Both of my sons have SKS's one is Russian and the other Chinese (the guns). for the past 10 years they have been shooting them with every kind of ammo that can be had and some are extremely dirty. As an experiment neither have been cleaned or oiled and as yet both still function fine. I would venture to say a few thousand rounds have gone through each.
The point is they are robust and for their purpose work fine although in my opinion ugly. But as a survival rifle would be a good choice.
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Good morning all, perhaps a little off the topic but I think one that it is germain. Dave when you mentioned reach for the file[s] it brought to mind my efforts some 30 year ago of sporterising a K98 enuff said beautiful weapon had been "upgraded" by the Israelis to 7.62 NATO now the hard part every pun intended. I needed to drill the receiver for scope mounts ,YEEEaggggg That metal was the hardest I have ever come across. In delving around i found a tit bit of info written by Bill Dunlap and it was suggested to sharpen a carbon stick as from a D type battery hook it up to the buzz box welder on a low amp setting and use the almost white hot carbon to spot anneal the receiver..... i didn,t get around to doing it gave up in disgust and threw the hard part into a gunsmith friends lap.......he of course did it!!!!! My question to all has anyone used this procedure? Next similar question, has any one any thoughts on homemade coolant/lube$ for the lathe. Here in RSA the cost of commercial stuff is insane and they will not sell under 20 litres a time and that equates to about 400 $US and if I lived 1000 years I would not use it all. Thanks hope I haven,t hijacked the thread. Golfpin
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

It is nearly 7pm, as enter this, after a busy day. But here goes to answer the comments, and enter what should be the final installment of this project So here goes:

Rolland: I agree that the SKS is a robust and hardy rifle. Therein lies its faults also. It was designed with an eye to production cost, and is an ugly unit stripped to bare function. It is almost ingenious how it works with rather few parts. But, having no good place to mount optics is what started this attempt to improve on iron sights. I am shaken that your examples do not get good cleaning care, as mud, grit, and corrosion, are the downfall of any mechanism. If as described, it only bolsters my opinion that this design is hardy above all else. In the real world I have dropped guns into deep water and mud, and gone over chest high to retrieve them, in less than ideal conditions. But that was with an Eddystone 30-06. It still looks pristine after all the rounds and wear, of a sporterized training rifle from the 60's. (Sears purchase). It is all in the after care they get.

Golfpin: I can say for sure that good drills are key to good holes in tough metals. Having snagged and broken so many in my carreer and home, I have hardware, and then 'good' stuff I ferret away like a packrat, only to see the light of day when deemd needed. Myself I have never done such a spot treatment, and have no knowledge of its workings.

As far as coolant, I use spray can junk like WD-40, that is not intended for such use, , tapmagic, which is for tapping, Mr. obvious, but run soap water, and kerosene for aluminum, as a drip from a jug, with fish tank plumbing, and a copper wire run around it for direction. Honestly, I drill a lot dry, and shouldnt, but hate the mess of the spatter and flooding.
Kodak Camera 214b.jpg
Kodak Camera 215b.jpg
OK, so the new breech block is finally messaged with a file in the key hole to get a tight slip fit for the crosspin. It was worked so that it is stiffer than the original fit, as I believe it will hammer in/loosen up with the firing of the weapon. So far, the fit is such that no movement is detected when installed. When the pictures finally arrive, it will be noted that there are two tabs that extend down to the reciever slide area of the gun, as an attempt to control stability. I view this as redundant, but range testing will show how much drift I get with scope movement. These tabs are equipped with slotted set screws, and lock nuts. I think this is ugly overkill, and am hoping unneeded, as keeping screws, and metric hex keys, for a tear down afield is just nuts.
Kodak Camera 218b.jpg
A 3-9 x 40 from Simmons, (China) was selected, with the intent of raising accuracy on 300 yd shooting. The scope is on ring mounts that allows the ramp sight to be viewed under the mount, and not have the 40 mm optics foul either the ejection area, or the iron sight picture. In keeping with mounting theory, the rings are spread as wide as practiczl wo limit movement, with the knowledge that this is as good as this deal is going to get, with all the compromises to get this done. The 40 mm was chosen for better twilight gathering and dusky shooting. I hope the work will improve the ability to get on target, most shooters do. Total cost of this work is $40 for the machined block for SKS, $90 for the scope, and $10 for the red tagged ring set that fit. About 4 hours play time, not trying to ork things up, and probably the hardest part of the deal.

EDIT: In ogling over my work, I see a problem with loading, as the scope blocks access to the stripper clip arrangement. As set right now, single rounds can be pressed into the fixed mag built into the stock. The bolt locks open with the last clip round fired, and requires the stripper clip to retain the bolt, while the next stripper of ten rounds is pressed into the staggered mag. In practice, this is not too hard to do, but requires a good pull to get the tin cartridge holder out, and the bolt falls into place, pushing the new round in. What this means is, the stock magazine has to be removed, and a bottom loading magazine installed.. It should be noted that the stock built-in mag, is a sheet metal stamping, with a swing door and spring loaded parts, that will allow bottom loading, but making it a fiddly operation, when you have preloaded strippers. It just so happens, I have the once banned 30 round clip, that swings in and locks, when the original built in is removed. This rifle also had the cleaning kit 'pill' in the butt plate. The only thing I dont have is the cleaning rod, that is nested under the barrel. So, next I will convert to a separate clip. I will check with my local gunsmith,to see if there any other mods to making a long clip work. (What next? 50 round drum?. Sir Bangsalot, says spray and pray, you will hit something). Not in the mind set of a scope I think.

Again I apologize, that the pics are in the camera, and I will switch sim cards with another camera to get the images loaded, if need be. Since l lost function on my former computer, I have nothing but old fart fits, trying to get organized again.
Attachments
Kodak Camera 215b.jpg
Last edited by steamin10 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Thanks Big Dave, Golfpin
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

Steamin 10
The whole idea was to see if they will fail at some point. It started as an admonishment from me to clean and take care of them properly then morphed into, lets see just how long they will function. As seen in southeast Asia mud water and such did not seem to effect them much. As I recall they were less than $100 at the time they were purchased
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Rolland: I think I gave $79 at a general gun show, the guy had like 3 left, all new Chinee imports, and still messy with the goo that passes for grease. I jumped at it simply because it was a semi auto with a common round, and good price incentive. I had a 'Fin Cub' as it was called, that was a sporterized Swedish rifle, complete with rust pits around the rear sight. It was fun, but new ammo just tooo costly. Since the fall of the Union, that picture has changed, and many types and ages of 7.62 Russ have flooded the market. One local gun store has 1K rounds of new production for $299 out the door, which is aluminum cased copper bullet, new production.

All: I worked on getting my computer to cough up my pictures, and I simply cannot upload them from the Kodak C-195. I do not have the drivers, and they are not available to download from Kodak, as the Win 95 and XL programs are unsupported. So without that, the computer in the camera, cant talk to my computer, and I dont have another camera that will accept the Mem card, so I am stuck. I have to find another work around. Supposedly I can post to Facebook, and email, but that is not happening either, as my Facebook account is corrupt, and tech has not cleared it. (claims the account was hacked). So, on we go. Future pics will be phone type, or from my aging Canon. So if any bozo puter Guru can shed some light on my path, I am all eyes here.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Try here Dave:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... tware.html

Should be what you had....it's what my Kodak came with. Works on XP and 7 I know, cause I have it on both.

If that doesn't do it, I have the disc, and could send you a copy.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OK, Tried again.

Pm sent to Warm...
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Would a sub $10 USB card reader work?

Was that SKS a recent purchase? I'd have to give nearly $400 for one out here...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Purchase date was before the ban, many moons ago. Prices for the Mini 14 that I owned for $600, have gone to about 1K and there is no wood,only composite. So your prices may be right in there. $50 either way is not a deal killer.

The only card reader I have is for an older Polaroid I cant find, and slips into a 5 inch floppy, that I dont have a computer for. That is part of the way-back machine win 2000 or something. I asked at Radio Shack, and got zip. Same question, at Best Buy, sales rep says they have a ($25) stick type that uses the USB port. So off we go, in our search. Thanks for the tip.