gunsmithing tools

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

SteveM

gunsmithing tools

Post by SteveM »

I have a bunch of high-end gunsmithing tools my dad left.

Some of this stuff is very expensive, so I'm looking for the best avenue through which to sell to get the best price.

Ebay is so anti-gun, I'm not sure it that's the best place to sell - people looking for this stuff probably won't be there.

Is there somewhere else you would recommend?

Some of it, we don't know what it will go for, so an auction setting would be best, I think. Otherwise we will end up under / over pricing things.

Steve
Magicniner

Re: gunsmithing tools

Post by Magicniner »

Lots of gun forum sites have a gunsmithing section.
mihit

Post by mihit »

Where are you and whaddaya got?
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

There is quite a bit of gun related stuff on eBay , tools, mainly pin punches, holsters, and surprisingly Airsoft BB guns !
I don't pretend to know what tools are needed for gun smithing ( other than a lathe and mill ).
Unless eBay has express rules against gunsmithing tools, I don't see why you shouldn't list them on eBay.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

mihit wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:21 pm Where are you
Readers here tend to put their location in their profile, as Steve has done (although not all do, for reasons best known to them). I highly recommend you do, too. Folks who prefer to remain anonymous don't get anywhere near the cooperation from people like me. I like to know who I'm talking to, and where they live (general location, like what part of the continent on which one lives (no need to disclose one's address). If I can't be trusted by any particular individual with that bit of information, I really don't feel a need to waste my time trying to help, and I have yet put to use in the wrong way such information, no more than I would if I knew one's hat size. The up side is there's often someone local to you that is more than willing to help.

Do bear in mind----posting that information IS voluntary. The choice is yours.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

A local gun show might be a good venue if you can determine what the tools are worth.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Mr Ron wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:38 am A local gun show might be a good venue if you can determine what the tools are worth.
Unfortunately, while there used to be many gun shows in Connecticut, I don't think there's been one here for decades.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

trouble is that when you get to a gun show, you have to find someone who knows more about gunsmithing than shooting...a rare commodity today.

there are lots of them down here in MD, PA and DE

try gunshows-usa.com

there is one listed in Wallingford in late november
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

Mr Ron wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:38 am A local gun show might be a good venue if you can determine what the tools are worth.
I'd look at a website like gunbroker.com and search out gunsmithing tools to get an idea of what other people think the tools are worth before I'd take them to a gun show. I realize some of the listings have an unrealistic price but one can go from there to price where one is comfortable with the chance to sell. Here's the listings I found there: https://www.gunbroker.com/Tools-Hardwar ... unsmithing
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

RMinMN wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:51 am
I'd look at a website like gunbroker.com and search out gunsmithing tools to get an idea of what other people think the tools are worth before I'd take them to a gun show. I realize some of the listings have an unrealistic price but one can go from there to price where one is comfortable with the chance to sell. Here's the listings I found there: https://www.gunbroker.com/Tools-Hardwar ... unsmithing
I put some of the tools into the search and it comes up with nothing.

Steve
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Steve,
It would help if we knew what sort of tools you have. Are they things like chambering reamers and rifling broaches or just pin punches and screw drivers. Checking a catalogue like Brownell’s will give you an idea of some current values of new tools.

Keith
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Brownells and Midwayusa would be a good source of current values of smithing tools . When we closed the gunsmithing shop that I worked for (owner passed of cancer) That is where I got current values . Then you just need to figure percentages . I sold items for half price of new cost . If you run into items that your not sure of , I can most likely help identify them for you . send me a pm if you need any help .
Steve S