Remington 700

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Oh ya, we have a gunsmith in town that is rather good. His line is building custom handguns and getting velvet actions for race guns and such. Mr Guttrich was rated one of top ten pistol smiths in the country. His advice was to hang it on a wall and buy something better. (snob) He said a replacement barrel out of the box could be handled by me, and bring back this somehwhat aged sport gun to action again. We now own two of these sporterized military guns. Mine marketed by Sears in the mid 60's.

He explained the belling over time and the stretch of the breech, causing a go guage to fit. A cut back would work but would be inferior to a new manufacture barrel. the gun can still be used but at some point in time it will allow case separation at the bullet neck, but will spell problems for reloading at anyrate because of stretched cases. With case distotions, consistancy will suffer as volume will vary and have an effect on discharge pressure and bullet seating. So the barrel will cost more than the gun.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Gerald C

30/06

Post by Gerald C »

Dave if that eddystone is a enfield action it is one of the strongest there is. you can get a barell for around 200 then you will have to cut sq. threads on the tennion, rent a 06, reamer to chamber the barrel. I don't know what is ment belled. but i dare say you can't streach a action. that is bull. the enfield action is strong enough to handel the big nitro express elephant rounds used in Africa! I got one and will be making it into a 375 HH for when I go back to Africa in the future.

Gerald C
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Yes , it is the Enfield action adapted by Eddystone Arsenal. 30-06 cal. (.308 Enfield) hard on the shoulder.

The Bell mouth is at barrel end. They wear and erode and the gas blow becomes unequal around the exiting bullet, thus giving it a side shove that shows up at distance.

In my case, I got a go-no go failure of the chamber. It has stretched or ballooned to where the no-go guage slips in and locks, meaning I got too much headroom, to be stable when fired. It could be the bolt, reciever, or (?) causing the loose fit on length.

I dunno, just throw money.

Thanks for your questions.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Gizz

Botched gun work

Post by Gizz »

Any time repair to a fire arm is not done correctly safety becomes the main issue. And when it reaches that point the factory should be contacted. If they feel safety is an issue many times they will offer to repair it. Sometimes for free to avoid liability issues. Since it is new I would be surprised if they don't. But I haven't heard of how these issues are being handled since the company is under new ownership.
deltaenterprizes

Muzzle "belling"

Post by deltaenterprizes »

The muzzle gets worn from the cleaning rod rubbing against the barrel. This is eliminated by using a bore guide and cleaning from the chamber end
It can be repaired by recrowning the barrel.
If you reload and you neck size only you should have no problems with the brass failing.
I would not ask a pistolsmith for advise on rifles or shotguns.
steamin10

Re: Remington 700

Post by steamin10 »

This is an update of sorts on a pretty old post.

The Remington has been worked over again, and many of the swirls and swails put in by the store gunsmith were lessoned, and the brass comes out flawless. It makes a tight group at 200 yds. It has been sold. This series of guns have been noted for bad trigger pulls and loading jams. He decided to dump it, and move to possibly a Savage .308. Savage has reportedly improved its fit and finish in the last decade.

The Rugar .223 is not up to shooting par, having trouble keeping an 8 inch group at 200yds. I has bee ascertained that this model run, has barrel mounting problems allowing barrel whip between shots. A kind of brace has been offered to tighten up the mounting for this problem. A sfar as I am concerned, it is another example of market guns in the 'Rambo' he man style, that are not much more than a 50 yrd paper fun gun. Not what I had in mind. It will be sold shortly.

The Rugar plinker (10-22) that he had, was confirmed a bent barrel. A custom SS target barrel was installed with a composit stock, and it is every bit the tack driver, at least equal to my much older late 60's production model. Since the barrel install, a freind radicalized his unit, with custom furnature and barrel, and Son bought those pieces for cheep. So now he can return that gun to original configuration, with undamaged stock and straight factory barrel, at any time he choses.

I cannot dismount the barrel after 3 tries, on the Eddystone. My local gunsmith will get a go at it shortly, so I can attempt to rechamber the barrel.
medicmike

Post by medicmike »

steamin10 wrote: He decided to dump it, and move to possibly a Savage .308. Savage has reportedly improved its fit and finish in the last decade
My son has a Savage in 300 Win Mag and just LOVES it. Also a plus for him is the availability of left handed actions. I keep hearing great things about current Savage production!
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

I cannot dismount the barrel after 3 tries, on the Eddystone. My local gunsmith will get a go at it shortly, so I can attempt to rechamber the barrel.
The M1917 has a well deserved reputation of being a bear of a job to dismount the barrel. Sorta like trying to pry a penny from a Welshmans hand. :wink: The shank is a full 1.125 major dia. sq. cut 10tpi thread with a .100 reciever shoulder. That is a lot of contact.

A pressure relief cut very close to the receiver carefully made with a hack saw to a depth of more than .100 makes the job easier but still not easy.

The shank is also rather complicated compared to a mauser. It is a cone breech not flat and has an extractor cut that must be timed with the threads on a reuse, complicating it further.

Drawing here on pg 6.

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3 ... _small.pdf

If you reload, deltaenterprizes solution is definitely the easy path to resolution. Or at least worth a try at resolution.

just say'n
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

I hope your gunsmith takes the above advice and cuts the relief groove. People have cracked the receiver rings on M1917's when forcing off barrels. I did this once and the relief groove made taking the barrel off easy.