Cheap Gas Lenses vs name brand ones?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

bharbour

Cheap Gas Lenses vs name brand ones?

Post by bharbour »

Has anybody tried the low cost gas lenses to compare with the name brand ones? Amazon and other net sources are selling gas lenses for about $2.50 US each. Weldcraft and Miller are selling them for $10 to $12 each. I was wondering what the differences in actual use might be.

Thanks,
BobH
Ironman1

Re: Cheap Gas Lenses vs name brand ones?

Post by Ironman1 »

I am a beginner at TIG and have been wondering about this. More efficient use of gas would be the result and a better weld, I hope.

I have learned the hard way that most American branded stuff is made in China but the price is made in USA.
Are these gas lenses standard sized and can new Pyrex or ceramic tips be bought at the LWS for them or are these things oddball?

Interested in the info.
Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune.- Jim Rohn

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I bought some on Amazon, from Welding City, for my Lincoln air-cooled torch.
I really can't tell any difference, except for the price. No complaints.
When I need something for my water-cooled torch, I'll try them as well.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Ironman1 wrote:II have learned the hard way that most American branded stuff is made in China but the price is made in USA.
Are these gas lenses standard sized and can new Pyrex or ceramic tips be bought at the LWS for them or are these things oddball?.
Torch parts are standardized by torch size, so it shouldn't make any difference where they're made or where you get them.

Don't get caught up in buying all of the latest and greatest gear if you are just beginning. It's the fundamentals of holding the arc, seeing the puddle, moving, and dipping the rod that you need to practice.

Buying a $3000.00 bicycle to learn to ride one isn't going to speed up the process. You'll crash just as often.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
bharbour

Post by bharbour »

There is a difference in the way they are made, the low cost ones appear to be stacked fine mesh screens, while the expensive ones look like sintered particles.
In general, the difference between the gas lens and the standard torch setup is not that large. I find that I get better coverage with lower gas feed rates with the lenses, but the standard torch setup works pretty well.
Thanks for the feedback, gents.
BobH
bharbour

Post by bharbour »

I ordered the cheap ones from Amazon. One of the lowest cost suppliers was "River City Welding". Apparently it is the Yangtze river, as the package came from China. I also ordered some cups. The stuff arrived and looks OK. Mounted one gas lense on my torch and it welds OK with the same gas flow as the previous one. I am not doing aerospace work, so it looks like it is good to go.