My Expensive New Welding Magnets

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderators: Harold_V, Scott

Chris Smith

Re: My Expensive New Welding Magnets

Post by Chris Smith » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:03 pm

I have a solar powered autodark helmet. It is about 12 years old and works perfectly. Never a problem. It is a ProStar, model FEB HPDI-4X5. Got it at one of the local welding stores.

Chris Smith

liveaboard

Post by liveaboard » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:47 pm

I think they're all solar powered, but also require a battery.
The Lincoln one would work again after I left it in direct sunlight for a while.
Now I bought a cheapo one from a DIY store, and it's much better. replaceable battery, shutoff switch to save the battery, delay setting dial.

GeorgeTurner12345

Post by GeorgeTurner12345 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:22 am

SteveHGraham wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:23 pm
I'm welding a fair amount now. This week I needed magnets to hold something for tacking, and I realized the magnets were probably stuck to the side of my big compressor, which is still in South Florida. I went to Northern Tool and shelled out considerable money for more magnets. Then I tried to use them, and I realized they were useless because of the way my metal parts fit together.

I went to the refrigerator, which had a stack of cheap rare-earth magnets on it, and I used 4 of them to hold the metal in place. They worked beautifully. Wonder if anyone else does this. Seems like a good idea, especially when you don't want to get your expensive magnets close to the heat.

I ended up using a woodworking clamp with rubber pads for the final tack.

09 14 19 Kubota FEL brace with rare earth magnets for tacking small.jpg
yes you are right about these magnets. I have been also facing the same situation some time. rare-earth magnets are quite good specially for support in welding process.