Flux Core fumes

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderators: Harold_V, Scott

tornitore45

Flux Core fumes

Post by tornitore45 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:50 pm

I have a cheap crappy $100 Flux Core Wire welder for Harbor Freight, however I suspect it could do a better job in the hand of somebody that knows what is doing.

Any way whatever is in the core splatters and fumes. How toxic are those fumes? I learned the hard way how bad Silver brazing can be.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX

Russ Hanscom

Re: Flux Core fumes

Post by Russ Hanscom » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:02 pm

Might look at the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the wire you are using. It will emphasize the worst issues.

Any welding should be done in a well ventilated area, just in case.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:04 am

tornitore45 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:50 pm
I learned the hard way how bad Silver brazing can be.
Wow! That can prove deadly! Cadmium is used to control oxidation of the copper in (some) silver solder. It is a known killer.

Could you please provide some details of your experience?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

liveaboard

Post by liveaboard » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:07 am

I poisoned myself stick welding [indoors] the other day. I had a headache and burning lungs.
Fume hood or weld outside.
But don't start any fires!
I find a bucket of water to be effective for dousing small incendiary events.

tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:39 pm

I was doing 5 or 6 small jobs that did not need prolonged heating so I did not bother to set up outside. After the 3rd or 4th job I felt progressively a stomach ache that became worst even after I quit. I also felt a bit hazy. I looked up the symptoms and based on that I thought that drinking water was possibly beneficial. The therapy is gastric flush so I though drinking was the closest thing I could do on the spot. It took about 20 minutes to start feel better.
My original post was stupid anyway, I should know better that that kind of work should be done outside with ventilation.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:50 pm

Thanks.
When I designed my shop, I included a large ventilation fan above the weld table, one with automatic louvers. An opposing window (opposite wall) allows for good air movement, so I can weld or braze inside without worry. The fan has proven to be a good idea, as I use it to remove fumes from the use of sulfur based cutting oils, too. I simply open the appropriate window, be it mill or lathe work, and run the fan.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

John Hasler

Post by John Hasler » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:41 am

Harold_V wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:04 am
tornitore45 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:50 pm
I learned the hard way how bad Silver brazing can be.
Wow! That can prove deadly! Cadmium is used to control oxidation of the copper in (some) silver solder. It is a known killer.

Could you please provide some details of your experience?

H
The symptoms of acute[1] cadmium poisoning are respiratory, not gastric. Basically, metal fume fever. It is most hazardous as a long term cumulative poison, though.

[1] "Acute" in this context means immediate, not severe.