Welding helmet

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Welding helmet

Post by GlennW »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:34 pm I swear by Jackson helmets. I've had the same one since the 1970s and have never had anything on it break. I'm old-fashioned and don't use auto-darkening helmets. I don't trust the technology and value what little eyesight I have left.
I'm in the same camp...

I've never found it difficult doing it the "old" way, but I basically only do TIG welding and very seldom MIG.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

the nod helmet is ok for rough work; but when you need to get the electrode on a small point, it's difficult.
After years of practice, I became fairly good at that.
Then the autodark helmet came, and that acquired skill became redundant.

Still, I resisted for a long time, because they were expensive at first, and also I was working on boats in the water, and there was wind.
I said I'll buy one when they're waterproof and they float.
Many tools I used at that time became wet.
Permanently.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

It depends on what you want to spend, name brands will cost you more versus the low end and they all do
what they're supposed to do, protect your eyes.
I started out with a HF $70.00 welding helemt, it does what it supposed to do ( not blind or have any cataracts ;) )
and personally looking to upgrade to something that has a wider view and less blocky.
The 3M speedglas and the ESAB Sentinel are what I'm leaning towards.
Buy once, cry once as the saying goes.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

If you watch for a bit, you can get a Speedglass for pretty reasonable money. I've got one I use only for Tig and Plasma cutting and sometimes for O/A. I've got a cheaper autodark helmet I use for MIG, and welding overhead.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Kay_B

Post by Kay_B »

A lot of useful information. Thanks for your answers guys! I have something to think about before making a choice.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Miller makes some nice helmets. They have a sale going on now.

One thing to look for is a helmet that can be adjustable away from your face - headband adjustment on the sides where it attaches to the helmet. Helps keep the inside from fogging up, if you move the helmet away from your mouth and nose a little bit.

Also the newer helmets have wider field of view, better optics, and allow for wearing a small respirator. Nice features.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

If you can't see the weld clearly, you probably forgot to put on your glasses before putting on the helmet.

At least, that's what happens to me...
318J

Post by 318J »

Fibre Metal pipeliner hood is my recommendation. Lightweight, easily modified, and durable. I've heavily used and abused mine daily for years. Some people don't like the small 2" x 4.25" lens however. Tradesman makes a decent auto darkening lens in that size too.
-Sam
Boilermaker, Pipefitter, former Railroader
"Preserving the Past and Ensuring Our Future"
Patio

Post by Patio »

You guys might find this interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMyeVXuElkQ

Be advised. This video is filled with profanity.

H
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!