Old Timer, Back to welding!

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Wanna-Be

Old Timer, Back to welding!

Post by Wanna-Be »

I don't spend much time this welding forum because my skills, knowledge and Eye Sight have deteriorated over the past 50+ years. The Eye Sight problem is presently being corrected next week with some more cataract surgery on my left eye. The loss of depth perception has been my major problem for over 20 years and about the only way I could do any welding is by 'Walking the Cup' with mig and tig was impossible.

Background; 1 year of apprentice training in gas welding, followed by US Navy Pipefitter/Shipfitter "A" school which introduced me to arc (stick) and gas. welding. Later I went to C1 welding school for about 6 month in more gas and a lot of stick welding and was certified to weld both high pressure pipe and submarine pressure hull. I was introduced to Nuclear component welding but "washed-out" before I had a chance at tig or (new then) mig. Reported to a the submarine repair vessel USS Sperry and ran the pipe shop for a couple years and then went into non-destructive testing (NDT) and never did any professional welding after that (1962).

I have always had my own gas welding rig and added mig and tig about 10 years ago when I was building a large sail boat and wanted to do my own SS fabrication. It was then that I discovered that I had lost my depth perception and managed to 'get the job done' with a lot of grinding of the worst of my work. Tig ended up with too much tungstin in my welds and I just gave up on that.

I have always remained optimistic and collected welding equipment, along with my machine and metal fab shop stuff. I added a aluminum spool gun to my mig machine a few years ago and found I could do a reasonable job on 5/16" plate and angle (with a little pre-heat). For lighter gauge I needed tig and especially Hi-Freq for aluminum light gauge, or even some heavier stuff. So I picked up a Miller Syncrowave 250 (and am still looking for a reasonably priced foot control). I still have to wire the shop for 220v 70+ amps but have the wire now for that.

Now, back to my eye sight. Just had the problem with my right eye fixed this week and will have the cataract surgery on my left next week. And I am optimistic I will regain my depth perception soon.

As far as the knowledge gap, as usual I will be coming to this fine forum for the latest and greatest advice.

Thanks,

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
Harold_V

Re: Old Timer, Back to welding!

Post by Harold_V »

Interesting, Steve.
I, too, had cataract surgery the first of this month. Left eye only. The change in color perception is unbelievable. I thought the paint in my shop had slowly yellowed, but it's stlll the very clean and bright pale green we chose those many years ago. I'd have never known without the surgery.

As my right eye has good vision (aside from the cataract), I have decided to not have it fixed, but will do so if (or when) it becomes troublesome.

Had my operation in Chehalis, at the Pacific Cataract and Laser Clinic. I am well pleased with their professional care.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Best of luck with the surgery.

Not a whole lot has changed under the sun when it comes to welding. The hand skills are still all the same!

Don't forgoe the spool gun on aluminum on thinner materials just because they are thinner. I have used it working on 1/8" checker plate welding a corner joint, and regularly fixed cattle liners. The walls on them are not very thick, at a guess 14ga. That being said if I would have had the knowledge and machine to weld the aluminum with TIG I probably would have gone that route for a good chunk of the aluminum welding that I have done.

If you are electronically inclined you may try your hand at building your own foot pedal. My understanding of the foot pedal is it is a simple variable pot resistor. The maintenance guy where I work make all of the handheld remote for lincoln machines there. My understanding is he uses a 10k ohm pot. I know there are a couple industrial suppliers and electronics suppliers in the area that carry the miller multi-pin plugs, so I'd assume they are not that difficult to get your hands on. The enclosure is whatever you can dream up!
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

I had my right eye done in '92, this cataract was dead center in my field of vision and it was a great relief at that time. two years later they had to clear out some 'trash' stuff with a laser and some of that had come back in recent years, so I had the laser treatment done again this week. Within less than 24 hours I really noticed a big difference in the right eye.

I do have some glocoma but I understand we caught that early and I am taking eye drops daily to keep the pressure down. After a month of this the Doc says pressure is good.

Hey! I was over in Onalaska the other day. Went to RainTree for a class on tree grafting. Nice area.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Very best wishes with the eye surgery know exactly how you feel/see.
you will have gathered from quite a few posts that I have made, had the same problem of depth perception fortunately not as a result of cataracts........detached retina repaired but have lost 80 % vision in right eye. But have found nothing like practice.... called out to kiddies playground last week FIELD work of the worst type no bench, sand, limited help but with fresh 60013 rods plenty of grinding looked like a squadron of vultures but does work. The trampoline is up and jumping. Don,t expect too much of yourself to begin with you will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly it will come back.
Spoolgun what is that never seen one what does it do ? As you all might have gathered from prev posts re cheater lens, managed to get some from Afrox/Miller agents big help.
All the best for future "frying"
Golfpin.
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

golfpin wrote:Very best wishes with the eye surgery know exactly how you feel/see. ..................................................

Spoolgun what is that never seen one what does it do ? As you all might have gathered from prev posts re cheater lens, managed to get some from Afrox/Miller agents big help.
All the best for future "frying"
Golfpin.
My first attempt at aluminum mig welding was with a straight "push feed" standard Miller Mig. Didn't work to well since the wire was too soft and would jam in the guide tube. Someone recommended that I should place the mig suite case higher than the work and keep the whole length as straight as possible and that helped but I was never satisfied.
I later got my Snap-On machine, it didn't come with a seperate liner for, just for aluminum and while considering purchasing one, I considered looking for a spool gun since the "wire push" would be somewhat eliminated. I found one on ebay for a really good price, in like new condition. I found it very easy to use, in spit of the clumsy size. No problem with wire jamming. I don't use it for steel or stainless, mainly because I expect the spool weight would be to much.

I might add, I have never Tigged aluminum but expect I will find it good learning experience and want to do my sheet metal and some other heavier fabrication much better in appearance.

I have always felt "rushed" while using Mig. Like I have to keep up with the constant wire feed rate. Never felt that way with rod. But old gas welding was what I was originally trained on and the pace was all under operator control with plenty of opportunity to observe and control degree of penetration and root fusion. God, I just remembered, (50 Yr. ago) turning my work over to inspect the underside for the quality of the root appearance. With rod, I might just grab the grinder and clean it up before someone else might see it.

Ole Steve
TomB

Post by TomB »

Harold_V wrote:Interesting, Steve.
I, too, had cataract surgery the first of this month. Left eye only. The change in color perception is unbelievable. I thought the paint in my shop had slowly yellowed, but it's stlll the very clean and bright pale green we chose those many years ago. I'd have never known without the surgery.

As my right eye has good vision (aside from the cataract), I have decided to not have it fixed, but will do so if (or when) it becomes troublesome.

Had my operation in Chehalis, at the Pacific Cataract and Laser Clinic. I am well pleased with their professional care.

Harold
May I provide and un-scientific thought on waiting too long between cataract surgeries. I had the right eye done and the results were not real good. (I think the optometrist that provided the Rx for the replacement lens screwed up.) At the time they told me the left eye was also bad. I waited 4 or 5 years before having a different doctor do the left eye. During that time my eyes must have fallen into the habit of only using one eye. Prior to the second surgery the doctor warned me my eyes were not focusing together, but I had no idea what that meant or implied and we did the second surgery.

After the surgery I saw things sharper with the left eye but immediately had problems with double vision. Its now been 3 or 4 years and the double vision is still a major problem. It may not be related to delaying between surgeries but my un-scientific survey of one person, me, makes me think that there can be a risk if you wait too long between surgeries.

Tom
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for your thoughts, Tom. I already have a tendency to ignore my left eye, the one that has received the operation. Once my sight problems began (mid 40's), it has always been somewhat less capable than the right eye.

I have another appointment in two weeks. Could be, by then, I'll have a change of mind. We shall see!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Below is a picture of a spool gun. If a person is using aluminum wire in a regular MIG there are a few things that a person can do to make it work better, use as short of a stinger as possible. Have it as straight as possible. Replace your steel liner with a melon liner, less friction and allows the wire to slide easier. Some newer machines are push/pull setups. Allowing you to use larger spools of wire than the spool gun will allow.
Attachments
Spool gun.
Spool gun.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Harold_V wrote: I, too, had cataract surgery the first of this month. Left eye only. The change in color perception is unbelievable. I thought the paint in my shop had slowly yellowed, but it's stlll the very clean and bright pale green we chose those many years ago. I'd have never known without the surgery.

Harold is not kidding, the color difference is amazing. I likened it to before, looking at something with an incandescent bulb, and after, daylight florescent!

I was in the same straits, had one eye very bad (20/150 after correction, with multiple images), one that I thought was not-so-bad (20/40 after correction). First one done 1/6, second one done 2/18, now both 20/20 with no correction. My guys (Mayo Clinic) very much discouraged me leaving one undone.

Downside, I gave up anything from 8 feet in without some kind of cheaters. That is taking some getting used to after being near-sighted my whole life. As for welding, was horrible before, still horrible! But at least now that I can see what I am welding, I feel with instruction and practice I might improve.
John Brock
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Morning to all the old time welders,
more precisely Wanna-be how is the eye after the op?
Just a quick update on how to get caught out some posts back I screamed for help re my buzz box that would have given a squadron of vultures an "A" in welding..... lots of you good folk came up with a lot of good ideas ........... the problem was the rods!!!!!!!!! I think I have become so laid [lazy old] back i forget how reliable rods are these days but there is a limit. In days before all our rods were kept in cabinet driers, so learn,t a lesson, thanks again to all, hope that EYE is good let us know.
Golfpin
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Some where I posted before to always check your rod, as some are hygroscopic in nature. Lo-Hydrogen, can become hi-hydrogen with damp rod. An old timer once told me being able to see your work is half the battle, grind clean, remove paint, oil, get a good fit, and use rod as fresh as eggs. Brace your hand and get the motion and position you need for the bead.

Lots of details, but the man taught me a lot when I was younger.

Rod rusty under the flux spatters and scatters. I buy broken and dented cans at teh welding supply, but pay good money for new rod when I have to, and ignore some of the stuff sitting here for years. I never buy stuff at yard sales and such, because you never know what that guy did. Rod that is colored red and such, with white spots is mold growing on the sawdust used to scavenge the oxygen in the arc. It will give you fits, and should be used to hang your clothes and rattle can paint subjects. :mrgreen:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.