connect - Lincoln LN-7 to Miller 320A/BP

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

N.Smith

connect - Lincoln LN-7 to Miller 320A/BP

Post by N.Smith »

can any one help me with a project my son coned me into ? he has a lincoln LN-7 GMA wire feeder like new and he has a Miller 320A/BP , I`m not sure why he want`s to hook these two together but ?? he has other welder`s I have located the 24v on the miller schematic but cant find a plug in on the case, the schematic for the LN-7 is pretty well laid out for the hook up,, the miller has a 110v plug on front of the case , not sure where the contactor is ,,, any ideas ??????
N.Smith
steamin10

Re: connect - Lincoln LN-7 to Miller 320A/BP

Post by steamin10 »

The LN-7 is just a fine tuning wire machine, (feeder) capable of heavy wire. We used them to make many attachments on tank cars, for Union Tank. They need a compatible power supply. The ones I worked on were basically junk, having the snot beat out of them, by careless and frustrated workers. Little cube relays, and fine wires, were the bane of these machines, and they finally began to replace them with other computerized machines , that had problems with ground, and floating neutral voltages.

There is a lot about these machines, on the net, as they have been around a long time. i am unfamiliar with that welding machine, but a quick call to any welding repair house, should put you in touch with a tech, that can straighten you out.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
N.Smith

Post by N.Smith »

Thank you Dave ,,
N.Smith
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Very familiar with LN-25's. Had lots of 'em, and past the usual consumables, done very well with all of them. I only remember having to replace a circuit board in one. Like Dave said....check your local supplier. That's who came by & looked at one of ours when it quit working. He spent 20 seconds figuring out the problem, and had the part in stock right down the road from us.

There's lots of different models of the LN-25's, so get all the numbers off the tag for 'em.

Not familiar with your Miller. So long as it's a run of the mill constant current DC machine, it should work fine.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I could not find a manual for the Miller machine referenced, but here is the manual for the Lincoln that I found: https://www.red-d-arc.com/pdf/LN-7%20LN ... Manual.pdf

Wire feeders are usually hooked up to a CV (Constant Voltage) power source. You can get a voltage sensing wire feeder which is comparable with a CC (Constant Current) machine. From skimming through part of the manual for the Lincoln, this feeder will work with a CV power source, I did not read anything that said it was comparable with a CC source. That's not to say it won't work with the Miller, which to the best of my knowledge is a CC machine, I just didn't see it. Note that I did NOT read through the whole manual and I am not familure with this particular feeder.
N.Smith

Post by N.Smith »

did some more checking on this 320A/BP ,,, it show`s a 110v contactor can be used but there was no part number , where can I locate a part number for such a part, the miller schematic dosen`t show one,,
N.Smith