Lincoln Electric WELD-PAK 100

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveM

Lincoln Electric WELD-PAK 100

Post by SteveM »

Have to preface this with "I don't know crap about welders or welding".

Someone locally is selling a Lincoln WeldPak 100 for $250. Looks like it was well cared for and not abused.

It has the gun and cables.

It's 110 v, which is OK, because that's all I have right now.

Look at it mostly for welding small stuff like brackets, tubes and sheet metal.

Anyone know if this is a good unit for a beginner?

Steve
Russ Hanscom

Re: Lincoln Electric WELD-PAK 100

Post by Russ Hanscom »

You should be able to get more info from the Lincoln site. I have a Lincoln 140 that runs on 120 - does a nice job. I suspect that the 100 in the name means the output is limited to 100 amps - on a limited basis. For small work, it should be ideal, but likely will max out welding 1/8 or 3/16" thick stock.

Lincoln makes good equipment so if small work is your goal, might be the tool.
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

If it's gasless only (i.e. fluxcore wire) I would pass. Not that flux wire doesn't work but one of the nice things about plain wire and shielding gas is that there is no flux to clean after welding. On sheet metal flux core is nasty, messy, and hard to get the heat dialed in with that 110 machine because it most likely has stepped voltage settings (1-4). Say 1 is not hot enough and 2 burns holes in the metal.
If it is set up for gas ( should come with a flow regulator) that will be an added expense for a tank of 75/25.
Lincoln does make good 110 MIG welders but my understanding is the ones for Home Depot are built to a price point and have some cheaper components.
The max thickness steel you can expect to weld out of that unit is .090". Some consider them good for .125" and if you know what your doing it just gets by. Open the lid where the wire spool is and read the chart. It will show voltage settings (heat) and wire speeds for different metal thickness. I bet you don't see .125".
Edit: The thickness capacity I'm referring to is using solid wire and shielding gas. The chart will show some thicker sizes if set up for flux core (no gas).
In the end it always come down to what you expect to do with a weld machine/process and as long as you stay within the limits it should work fine.
Ernie F.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I saw something where someone was using it with gas (for the specific reasons you mention, Ernie).

Not sure if that was an option or if it was something he rigged up.

Steve
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Are you talking about the one you are interested in or a you tube video? May have looked rigged up because sometimes they will put the gas cylinder close enough and hook it up. It's better to have some sort of cart to have the welder on an secure the cylinder. The welders that use gas have a fitting, short length of hose and a regulator. Inside a solenoid valve so it only flows gas when the trigger is pulled.
I believe the very least expensive unit are the ones without the gas set up. When buying a used welder it's a good idea to see it demonstrated that it does work. No demo the price goes way down as you are gambling on the seller's word. Unless you know, trust them.
MIG is one of the easiest process to learn but I think without the gas you might have some frustration so that's why it would be better to at least have the capability even if can't do the gas cylinder right away.
Let me know if I can help. If you do buy it and what to set it up, test it, let me know.
Ernie F.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Here is the owners manual for the welder: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/s ... imt460.pdf Even if you don't get this machine I would encourage you to read through it. There is a lot of information in there that is geared towards a person who does not know much about welding.

According to the manual you can get a gas kit for it. Some flux core wires require gas shielding as well, with those wires the flux provides alloying elements in the flux. It is more correct to say that this welder, while it does use a flux core wire, uses gassless wire. The flux in gasless wire provides a protective atmosphere for the weld to be in. I would highly recommend using/getting a welder that uses shielding gas. Better looking welds, easier to see your weld puddle and you don't have to work to tell the difference between molton metal and molton slag, which means an easier time learning how to weld.

You won't be able to weld much with the welder, it has a very low duty cycle rating, in Canada it is rated at 20% at 62 amps and Stateside it is rated at 20% at 88... apparently you guys like working your machine harder! Why this difference in rating I don't know.

If it has the gas kit and all you are looking at doing is thin sheet metal, it should suite your needs. Without the gas kit I see it as useless, but I know there are many ou there that would disagree. You will be able to stick things together with it. If you are using it with gasless wire, DON'T cheep out on wire. Lincoln wire is, from what I've found, although my experience with gasless wire is limited, the best. Most any name brand of wire should weld decent. Cheep offshore wire does not weld well, and if you are learning the ropes will make the process even harder and frusterating!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks for the comments. I'll take a look thru the manual.

Gas sounds like a good idea.

I've heard that people using Horror Freight welders thought the welder was crap and then switched to a US-made wire and it was like night and day.

Steve
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Some years ago, I borrowed a friends Weld-Pak 100 to make a bracket to attach to my floor jack, for R&R'ing the transmission in my Explorer.
I had a welder, but hadn't got 220V in my shop yet.

It worked fine for welding 1/8" thick angle, but that was about the max it could handle well. It didn't care for the 20 amp breaker when it was maxed out either. I ran to the hardware store & bought a 30 amp. I used ER70 & 75/25 gas.

One of the welders I now have is a Miller 135. Same class as the 100 Weld-Pak...110VAC input & a touch bigger.....great for thin stuff, exhaust pipe tubing & the like. I use it mostly for thin stainless steel parts I make, using 308 wire & tri-gas.

I'm not a fan of any of the self shielded wires. I use them on occasion for thin materials, but mostly when I'm outside and it's windy, and repairs in remote locations for small things here & there. Gas-less wire will never produce as good of a bead as a gas shielded wire, but can be acceptable. Depends a lot on what you are doing, and what you want though.

I haven't tried any Horror Freight wires....and don't plan to....
I think wires & electrodes are much like cutting tools....go USA!

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I have had the weld pak 140 first, with gas, and was ok with it. After loss to a theft, I got the 100, and as commented, it is a slightly less capable machine. My 100 was a used machine dumped because it was a Christmas present to a Gomer that doesnt do much. I paid $150, but added a gas kit, that is no big deal. About $75 at the time with liner and all. Solenoid went inside the case, also no big deal. I have added a 220V based 180 weld pack, that I use for aluminum. It does ok, but is a bit worrisome. At any rate the 100 is basic, and will benefit from a gas kit. Although it is limited in capability, I use gas for cored wire, and get much improved welds rather than spatters and chicken poo for welds.

I agree with the general comments made, but wish to add some points that matter. BUY GOOD WIRE. Harbor Fright and Menards dont get it. Before you blame bad performance on a tiny welder, make sure you have it on a good circuit to eliminate line sag. That includes a heavy extension cord getting away from the garage. These small machines are most sensitive to voltage drops, and cause a lot of head scratching.

Smart money says 'in for a dime, in for a dollar'. A bit more money will buy a bigger machine, that is more stable, and capable. Tanks, regulators and hoses, will be about the same no matter what size the welder, so a few bucks more may be wise if it is not a killer deal.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.