Annoying Movie Welding

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

mklotz

Re: Annoying Movie Welding

Post by mklotz »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 am Einstein had his share of stupid ideas. Just saying.
I'd be interested to hear which of his ideas you thought were stupid.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
NP317

Post by NP317 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 am Einstein had his share of stupid ideas. Just saying.
That's all relative.
~RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

To discuss Einstein's dumb ideas fully, one has to violate the board's policy of banning political discussion. I don't know if his recently revealed anti-Chinese writings would fall under "politics," but if not, they come close.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:54 pm To discuss Einstein's dumb ideas fully, one has to violate the board's policy of banning political discussion. I don't know if his recently revealed anti-Chinese writings would fall under "politics," but if not, they come close.
Einstein's personal observations about the Chinese reflect a different time in history (1922-1923) and are markedly similar to observations made by other Europeans who visited China during that time. For example:
“Chinese don’t sit on benches while eating but squat like Europeans do when they relieve themselves out in the leafy woods. All this occurs quietly and demurely. Even the children are spiritless and look obtuse.”
I see only what could be considered by the standards of the time (1922-1923) some non-scientific observations (Chinese of the time often did squat while eating and resting, which is well-known from photographs taken in those days).

Also, consider this excerpt from his travel diary:
“...even those reduced to working like horses never give the impression of conscious suffering. A peculiar herd-like nation [ … ] often more like automatons than people.”
That, my friend, accurately describes what life was like for the average Chinese in the 1920s and indeed, at least until the end of World War II. The China of Einstein's time was a very different place than it is now.

Anyone today who would refer to Einstein as a racist due to the verbiage expressed in his diary would be making the error of using modern liberal thinking to critique something penned nearly 100 years ago. With everyone and her uncle these days getting offended over the most trivial of things, telling me Einstein's diary is "anti-Chinese" smacks of the snowflake mentality. As I said, his diary reflect personal observations that were never intended to be published.

When did it become fashionable to Monday-morning-quarterback the writings of someone who put his thoughts to paper long before most of us were even a twinkle in our parents' eyes?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I will respect the politics ban and leave it at that. Anyone who reads the entirety of Einstein's recently divulged comments on other races will see there is more to the picture.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Non of which alters the impact that Einstein's scientific theories have produced.
~RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

He was a great physicist, but that's about it. People treat him like he was a god who knew the answers to all of life's problems. Not even close to true. I would never cite Einstein in a discussion of anything but science, any more than I would cite Newton.

I've known a lot of physicists. Whatever their mathematical and scientific gifts may be, they tend to be weak in other areas. Murray Gell-Mann once commented on that. He said he was unusual because he was gifted in other areas.

I don't know where the cult of physicist worship came from. Once you know 20 or 30 quirky guys who collect sci-fi action figures and own their own Jedi robes, the glamour wears off. Their mental achievements are astonishing, but I'm glad they don't run the world. Think of all the strange things Stephen Hawking said.

Unfortunately, some physicists have bought into the myth, coming to believe they know what's best for the rest of us. That's why they gave the USSR got the bomb. That didn't work out too well.
dbstoo

Post by dbstoo »

Back to welding...

I just watched last night's Penn and Teller's Fool Us. There was one magician who did an escape from a police car that was welded shut. They used an engine driven Lincoln arc welder. But before using that they lit the O/A torch with a substantial flame. Then they made a single small tack weld on the bar that was holding the doors sort of closed.

What's wrong here? The O/A torch was never used. The tack weld was made from a thin bar to a thin plate that was badly tacked onto the side of the car. The huge Lincoln generator/welder was overkill.

Bus worst was that the welds were never part of the illusion in any way.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

the welding did what it was intended to do -> kill time and provide distraction while the guy went out the other side door.

What else would you expect?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Last night I saw Iron Man blow a yard-wide hole in a spaceship. He used the weird rays that come from his gloves to weld it up. Not only did he get an airtight weld; he filled the hole with weld material that came from nowhere.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:40 pm Last night I saw Iron Man blow a yard-wide hole in a spaceship. He used the weird rays that come from his gloves to weld it up. Not only did he get an airtight weld; he filled the hole with weld material that came from nowhere.
I spent yesterday cleaning out the rain gutters on our pump shed and storage building. When that was done, I cleaned off the shingles with a leaf blower. We have several hemlocks, and they're notorious for dropping needles and miniature cones. For that reason, I was unable to spend any time watching the highly scientific crap you mentioned.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

hey...I you can believe that a guy can fly around in an airtight 'iron man' suit...anything is believable...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.