welding a shaft

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

mikechoochoo

welding a shaft

Post by mikechoochoo »

I want to weld a piece onto the the screw from a vise, it's about 3/4 inch diameter. The weld will be two inches from the threaded portion and will be replacing a old botched repair done by a previous owner. I plan on making the new part slightly larger than the final diameter and turning it to size after the welding is done to account for warpage. The question is should I weld a scarf joint or a but joint that is v'ed with the parts center drilled with a pin to hold their alignment . Yes I could turn a whole new screw but it's a buttress thread and I feel welding is the easier course.
Mike N.
Russ Hanscom

Re: welding a shaft

Post by Russ Hanscom »

My personal preference is to make a V joint. I use a piece of angle iron to maintain alignment; clamp the pieces into it. Shim one side if the diameters are different. Make a pass, flip and make a pass, repeat as necessary. Should be able to keep it relatively straight.

Helps to put a rib on the back of the angle for clamping it in a vise and also helps to cut away of bit of the angle sides near the welding area for better access.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

I agree with Russ, make a V-joint.

Nyle
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

This is my basic fixture. Make one suitable to your needs.
DSC01223.JPG
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Make the extension considerably oversized and the need for accurate alignment goes away. Definitely use a V groove.