large vintage TIG machine

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

bowens

large vintage TIG machine

Post by bowens »

I'm in the market for a used TIG machine and I ran across this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 45031&rd=1

The guy says it's single phase but I'm not sure you can run it out of a garage. Any ideas on this? 220 at ??? amps I would need to run this 850lb monster.

Any opinions or pitfalls please make them know.

Thanks in advance,

Brent
Lee

Re: large vintage TIG machine

Post by Lee »

I have one of these. Yes you can run it out of a garage. Mine draws 108 amp at max output, but I have it on a 60 amp breaker and haven't had any problems with it. These are good machines. Almost bulletproof. They aren't as sophisticated as the newer square wave units, but they definitely do the job. Be warned though, they weigh about 825 pounds. I unloaded mine by myself and snapped off a 6" Maple tree limb in the process. It took me an hour to get it from the truck into the basement by myself. (I'm just too damn stubborn to ask for help though [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] ) Right now it's at $280 with all the toys included. That's a steal in my book. It does say they won't arrange shipping though, the winning bidder will have to. If you aren't within driving range, that is something else to consider.
I always like to learn, but I don't always like to be taught.
Brian_h

Post by Brian_h »

I'll second what Lee said. I have a similarily sized Hobart in my garage. It's rated input is 100A @ 220V and like Lee I run it off of a 60A breaker. I've got $100.00 into mine but I need to redo the ancient rusted out water cooler.

Brian Helmuth
bowens

Post by bowens »

Thanks alot for the help. I would have to drive from columbus oh to chicago so I'm not sure I how bad I want it.

Take care,

Brent
Lee

Post by Lee »

You could always check with a freight company to see what it would cost to ship. OR Rent a U-Haul for a day and drive and pick it up. But even a couple hundred bucks would be worth it. Heck if you get out of the whole thing for around $600 you would still be getting a heck of a deal! I too bought mine off Ebay for $350. It cost $140 in freight from New Jersey to Michigan, but the seller had guessed 500 pounds as the weight on the bill of lading. He was only off by 325 pounds!! I'm not sure what the starting bid was, but I hit the "Buy it now" button as soon as I got a freight quote back from the seller.
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

I have one of these, bought it back in late 1989, for a song. ($237) Still have it, still use it.
I have mine hooked to a 100 amp breaker, and never have any problems out of it. Actually should be on a slightly
larger breaker, but have never needed it. I would suggest a water cooled torch for the tig side, minimum of 350 amp.
It is a good machine, and have no intention of replacing it anytime soon.David from jax
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
bowens

Post by bowens »

Wow, that thing sold for $610 - that seems alittle steep.

Brent [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I have the chance to buy one of these also. Is this model 3 phase or 1 phase?
Lee

Post by Lee »

Every 330 I have seen has been single phase. But it should be listed on a tag on the machine as to what the voltage and phase requirements are.
Lee

Post by Lee »

That's the highest I have ever saw one of these go for. Well, if it was a local purchase it was still a pretty good deal for someone. But even if it cost $200 in freight, it's a lot of machine for $800 [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img] Keep your eyes on Ebay though, I have seen several of these end with no bids at all!
Uraljawa

Post by Uraljawa »

You will find it to be an excellent welder. The manuals for that welder are available from Miller for about $5 a copy. I have mine hooked up to a 175 amp circuit breaker and haven't found a job it won't handle yet. I am looking for a foot pedal control for mine if anyone has an old one laying around out there.

Larry Roa
Dog1@BigMailBox.net
whitcreek

Post by whitcreek »

At work I have a miller aircrafter 300 (1987) thats never been used. was picked up on Gov. surplus. I tmay be going for sale in the near future. I want to purchase a more portable unit than the aircrafter. The cost for wiring in the aircrafter exceeds what i can purchase a smaller tig/stick unit. le me know if interested.