TIG cup question

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

AAA

TIG cup question

Post by AAA »

I've never really had any formal TIG welding training and are self taught. This tends to lead to me being rather knowlegable in some areas and rather lacking in others.

One lacking area is with cup size. I normally just use a #5 or #6. If seen some really huge cups and wonder what the hell they are for.
Also is this right? Sometimes I use like a #4 when I'm welding in a corner and want to stick electrode out a bit. I was under the impression that the smaller ones would create a jet and protect the electrode or am i confusing this with a gas lense?

Any help appreciated.

Mike
AAA

Does your silence mean none of you know either?

Post by AAA »

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]
DanD

Re: TIG cup question

Post by DanD »

You should make it a practice to use the largest cup possible for the joint design that you are going to be welding. Reason being because the shielding gas is not only for protecting the tungsten and the molten puddle. Its other purposes are to protect the weld bead trailing the molten weld puddle from the atmosphere while it cools, and to protect the filler metal from atmospheric contamination as it is being inserted and removed from the molten puddle.

If you want to stick the tungsten out further switch to a gas lens. Unless your welding into a tight corner a #4 cup really doesn t provide enough shielding.
Scott

Re: TIG cup question

Post by Scott »

Dan,I glad you made it over here,because Hackasaw will keep you busy,and entertained.

Also you should post some of your pics of your mig welding,because you have good info on how to do it.

As soon as I recover from the powermig cost,I going to buy a camera,and post some thin mig aluminum welding.But first I have to send the python gun in to get fixed.I had it working for a little bit at the welding store.I got it home,and the wire feed pot is toast.