Tig Welding Cast Iron

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

gene gullo

Tig Welding Cast Iron

Post by gene gullo »

I have some square nickle rod that I use for welding cast Iron. I rebuild Old Gravely T- Head engines. I was wondering could I use these rods with a Tig welder to fill in broken parts of the manifold. Also could you use a plasma cutter to melt the nickle rod and fill the broken holes. I have beens using a acetylne torch which works ok. I am just curious about using a tig welder or plasma torch. thanks gene
MAS

Tig welding castiron

Post by MAS »

Cronatron Welding Systems (www.cronatronwelding.com) has a tig rod for cast iron "Cronatig 211T". I got a sample but haven't tried it. I have been using Mig with steel wire and CO2 on antique windmills with excellent results
Ozwelder

Tig weld cast iron

Post by Ozwelder »

Nickle rod should be ok for cast iron.One trick an old blacksmith told me about is wrapping copper around the rod.This was with an oxy acetylene process.

I can.t see why it should not work, given you do keep the volume of the filler to the weld pool relative.Ie too big a filler with bugger up the heat input
the copper alloys with the CI and gives the repair ductility.

I have not tried it yet. Normal post heat and cooling would apply.
Ozwelder
garyroushkolb

TIG welding cast iron

Post by garyroushkolb »

I found a machinable rod that is made for cast, Messer welding products MG200 is a high nickle rod made for TIG repairing cast, Ill describe what I do.

Clean up all the oil off the brake and v-notch the crack, You never let the arc go directly to the cast but keep it on the rod that you have in contact with the base metal. Hold the rod hard against the crack and strike the tig arc on the rod and melt a coating on the cast till you have coated the entire crack with filler like butter on bread. Then go back and add the filler to the coating to build up the fillet to complete the weld. Something about the direct arc to the cast that makes cast harder than the back of superman's head. I use this method to repair broken bolt bosses on motors from wrecks. I'll weld a sleel sleeve with the correct threads to a block that has the mounts sheared off in a crash. The only draw back is it's very high dollar.