welding pot metal

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveM

welding pot metal

Post by SteveM »

I had to pull the carriage off my lathe and found that a bracket that appears to be made of pot metal is broken.

Eastwood sells a kit to weld pot metal:
http://www.eastwood.com/alumiweld-stand ... ?reltype=2

Has anyone use this?

Any other suggestions?

The bracket has a bronze bearing press fit into it, so the bearing would provide support while welding. Figure I can just lash some wire around to hold it in place.

Might have to loctite the bearing back in when I'm done.

I might consider just making a new bracket, but that might take a while and I'd have to get someone to silver solder the bits together.

Steve
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

SteveM: What method do you like?

Certainly the major dimensions are no secret, so just make one, beyond the pot metal ( cast Zinc compounds ), Aluminum has some very quiet features.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Steve, if that is an Atlas or Craftsman lathe, a lot of those brackets are found on e-Bay. If you can get a little reinforcement, JB Weld or a similar epoxy would likely make a permanent repair without danger of ruining it. I have not used the zinc/aluminum repair rods but I think they actually take quite a bit of skill to get it to hold well and not melt the broken piece.

Don Young
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

dly31 wrote:Steve, if that is an Atlas or Craftsman lathe, a lot of those brackets are found on e-Bay.
I looked there, and most of them sell for $50 and up, but I lucked out today and found one at BIN price of $24, so I should have the thing up and running in a week. Not only did it have the bracket, but the bushing, both miter gears and the collar, so if those parts are in better shape, I'll use them too.

I though of JB Weld, but I read someone's comments that said JB Weld really didn' hold well on pot metal

Steve
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

Those kits are actually a braze filler, rather than a weld. Any local welding supply house will have something equivalent. Although I'm with Steamin10 - you could glue the original together and use it as a loose pattern to cast a superior replacement.

GsT
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

I remember reading an article where a guy had fixed his. He made a fixture to hold the bracket. The fixture was just a flate plate with holes drilled and tapped so the bracket could be bolt to it. Sorry I don't remember what process he used for the actual repair.

On my carriage the feed wheel was pretty sloppy. I tightened it up by boring the hole to accept a bushing.
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Millermatic Challenger 172
Victor O/A
Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
Esab PCM-875
Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

tailshaft56 wrote:On my carriage the feed wheel was pretty sloppy. I tightened it up by boring the hole to accept a bushing.
That was the next thing I was thinking about. You bored the hole in the cast iron apron casting?

Steve
TallTexan

Post by TallTexan »

Before you start on the item that you want to repair. Practice first on something that you care not about.

Their video, make it look easy, however it is not. I bought some and made a mess of what I was welding. I stopped and started to practice on some junk parts. 1/2 of the box later I then went back to what I needed to weld

It is holding, but not pretty....One day I will have time and get the Dremel tool out and clean it up a lot
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

TallTexan wrote:Before you start on the item that you want to repair. Practice first on something that you care not about.
Excellent advice!

Welcome to the forum, Tall one! :-)

Harold
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

That is excellent advice. Actually the whole thread has been informative. Thanks for all who replied.

I liked the idea about casting a new one, but casting is not in the cards for me right now, as I have way too many projects.

I cleaned up the apron and adjusted the shims in the carriage. I put it all back together without the bracket (it drives the bevel gear for power cross feed). I installed the carriage and was able to take a 20 thou cut with no problem. I was having problems with a loose carriage.

When the part gets here, I'll install it and see how that goes.

Steve
Copperhead

Post by Copperhead »

Once very long ago I tried to do a repair on a cracked pot metal gear....
I was using MAPP and as I was heating the part, all of a sudden it went BLOOP and instantly transformed itself into a ball of molten material...
My approach now is to fabricate a new part or locate a replacement.
I would second JB Weld as a temporary fix.