What do the weld lens numbers really mean.

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

dgoddard

What do the weld lens numbers really mean.

Post by dgoddard »

Welding helmet lenses and auto-darkening lenses are classified by numbers like 8,9,...12, 13. but what do these really mean. How much less light passes through a #12 lens verses a #10 lens?

What I am getting at here has to do with my problem of abnormally sensitive eyes, and not being able to see what what I am welding very well when my auto-darkening helmet lens is set to 13. Since the arc and molten metal is a "point light source" The amount of light reaching the eye falls off according to the inverse square of the distance, (i.e. double the distance from weld to eye and you get only 1/4 as much light). As a newbie, I have been trying to get fairly close to see exactly what I am doing, but if I can move my head back, I should get a lot less light (e.g. ultraviolet) and perhaps I can then use a lighter shade of lens and see more without having a problem with my eyes. It would probably also make less fumes which occasionally waft inside the helmet.

So:
A. What do the lens numbers really mean?
B. What benefit can I really get from moving my eyes back?
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

If you are doing Mig welding, you have that lens set too dark. Here's a good discussion on lenses
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledg ... lenses.asp
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
dgoddard

Post by dgoddard »

Falcon 67,
That is an interesting site, Particularly their claim that:
Lincoln Electric wrote:Many people mistakenly think that the lens shade number corresponds to the amount of protection that is provided to the eyes and hence the higher the number, the better the protection. But in reality, all well-constructed quality welding lenses, have a screen that filters out 100 percent of the harmful ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) wavelengths and provides protection to the eyes. The number just denotes the amount of darkness provided by that particular lens and should be used by operators as a guide to select the one that is most comfortable and yet provides good visibility for the particular application.
So if I take that at face value, my eyes are protected from damage and all that I accomplish by adjusting the darkness is that I am adjusting my comfort level. Well that is my point. I am not "catching a flash" at any time but my eyes later burn a bit and sometimes feel a bit gritty. This has always been the case for me with arc welding with a variety of fixed shade and auto-darkening helmets.

So perhaps I should be asking a different question. Is there some sort of eye-wash or other technique I can use after welding to restore eye comfort. Perhaps there is something about the fumes present that is the culprit. But I have experienced the problem even when using a highly effective Weldsale downdraft table.

If the irritation is coming from small quantities of fumes, perhaps I should rig up some sort of air supply inside the helmet. Perhaps some feed of air from my oilless air compressor would suffice, (it would probably reduce problems with fogging the lens with my breath too).

Any suggestions along these lines folks.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

dgoddard wrote:I am not "catching a flash" at any time but my eyes later burn a bit and sometimes feel a bit gritty. This has always been the case for me with arc welding with a variety of fixed shade and auto-darkening helmets.
Have you considered that it may be you that's the problem?

I used to experience that when I'd use my blast cabinet for a prolonged period of time. I came to realize that I didn't blink when I was blasting (apparently didn't want to miss anything that was happening, although blasting is much like watching paint dry).

You may find that blinking voluntarily will be the cure to your problem.

Harold
dgoddard

Post by dgoddard »

Harold_V wrote: Have you considered that it may be you that's the problem?
Harold
Actually I have considered that I probably am part of the problem in that I happen to be both blessed and beset with extra sensitivity in hearing sight and sense of smell. So it would not even require a problem of not blinking, but since you mention it I will watch for that too. But my eyes have always been glare sensitive. I seem to be more reactive to environmental irritants so that is why I was speculating about the fume issue.

Thanks for the blinking tip.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Blinking - or lack of it - certainly is a problem with computer users. Our safety committee had a subgroup that went around checking people's workstations. They fielded a lot of complaints about eye irritation; and most of the time, upon observation, it turned out that the operators simply were forgetting to blink.

Not the easiest thing, to train yourself to blink every few seconds. But it might well be just what you need.
Pete in NJ
JHenriksen

Post by JHenriksen »

The gold plated filter plates may help you with the sensitive eyes. The gold reflects more light back at the work so it is somewhat brighter. The color of everything is different through them.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Where can you get a gold-coated lens ? My local welding suppliers (2 of them) have given me the "Wha, you got two heads" look when I asked about them. The third guy said "yes, we had them years ago".

I used to have a set of gold-coated goggles. I used them for forge-work because they screened out the IR. They did make the colors funny - I still had to take them off to judge the heat - but protected my eyes most of the time.

I'd like to get another set - the kind that go over my regular glasses.
Pete in NJ
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

Yes things that we used a few years ago, and worked good, Now can not be had.
I broke the headband to my welding hood a few months ago. (Hunter hood). They don't make the headbands for that one anymore. But for $120 they will sell me a new HUGE fiberglass one. No thanks, I like my fiberboard light weight one. I keep looking on e-bay for a used Hunter.
Jim
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.
Qst42know

Post by Qst42know »

You have to see to weld. Too dark a shade forces your pupils to dilate fully straining to gather more light. It may be causing the eye strain you are experiencing.
gmann109

Post by gmann109 »

Look on Google and eBay. Gold lenses are still made in all shades from 8-12. I have several of them in my shop. I don't know if they are any better but they sure look cool. LOL. :D
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Thanks... but the one I used to have didn't have any number-rating, it was just intended to block IR. It probably would have rated about a '2' - darker than "street" sunglasses, but considerably lighter than a brazing lens.

I want it for forge-work, where I need to see the workpiece in normal light, but also need to protect my (already foggy) eyes from the radiated heat when forge-welding.
Pete in NJ