converting phases 3 to single phase lincoln cv300

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

coorsman2005

converting phases 3 to single phase lincoln cv300

Post by coorsman2005 »

hi everone need some help i bought a lincoln cv 300 got it pretty cheap was wondering if there was any way of converting it from 3 phase or single phase or is my only choice buying a phase converter or running 3 phase thanks alot for the help
hammermill

Re: converting phases 3 to single phase lincoln cv300

Post by hammermill »

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs ... /IM383.pdf

here is the manual dont look like single phase power is a option
spro

Post by spro »

CV is a tip it may be. To constipated to open pdfs for sd's now(talking about my cp) I had some little experience doing that to a 280A Kemppi. The power board/s for the separate input phases I got a schemo..and as they seemed so self regulating- I have to think back. It wasn't just removing one wire it had to be a certain one and then that one .... Yeh there was one phase which had to be alive because the secondary power supplies came off that one. That was the regulation to all the controlling and sensing. So then the other 120 powered another bank and the thing worked. Works well. I wouldn't say it delivers over 180 amps now. wouldn't know since I don't need it for that and have another bank in reserve.
scmods

Post by scmods »

Be aware that a strictly resistive load like a welder is distinctly different than an inductive load like a motor. The standard "static converter" really does not produce a true three phase waveform, but pervert the single phase waveform enough to produce an out-of-phase third current source capable of starting motors. Once the motor is started it will run quite nicely on single phase current, albeit with a reduced horsepower output. A true motor-generator (MG) unit would of course produce the true 3 phase waveform that any 3 phase equipment, inductive or resistive, would be satisfied with and run at full power. However, as even moderately sized welders can require 20 kw, generation equipment can get expensive. I have a Feraris-Arno type of rotary converter for my 3 phase machine tools. I made it from materials I had at hand and it functions quite nicely for motors. Judging from the way it "loads down" when starting my lathe, I expect it is actually generating the third phase. I found the research information through Google, but it was all in Italian. Fortunately, the schematics were all understandable and the unit was easy to construct. Essentially, you are running a 3 phase motor on single phase and using the eddy currents in the rotating armature to excite the two unused fields to produce an output. This output, together with the 2 leads used to run the motor constitute the 3 phase output. Large 3 [hase motors are easily available used. Good luck
millman5

Post by millman5 »

A RPC is probably your best option but it will take a decent size one to get full output of the welder.

Most RPC manufacturers recomend a larger RPC for a resistive load (Welder) compaired to running an inductive load (motor). Even though the name plate on the equipment (welder or motor) calls for the same amp load.

Just guessing your 300A Lincoln probably calls for around 50A 220V 3 phase. You will need a RPC rated at apx. 60A or more continuous. Again These #'s are just a guess & merely to give you an idea of sizing.
If it works Don't fix it....
spro

Post by spro »

The beauty of schematics! Coming across one used as basis for simple modification of my Kemppi I see again it was was only simple because of the transformer built into the machine.
I realise many are so way ahead of me and newer equipment.
What I'm seeing is that the Kemppi PS2800 was built multipower to begin with. That's what I thought long ago and why it worked.
Basically an inverter type welder it still weighed a lot. It was stand alone, variable DC with that head. MIG wheel section was about as heavy as you want a handle on. There were of course the connections to the two and it worked with single phase.
The deal is the primary transformer had many taps for input from 500v to 210v. It appears the secondaries responding to the input channelled into different areas of the "AD" section". It was no big deal then to get the unit to work. It is good to know later why it did.