Bob's new welder.

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

xo18thfa

Bob's new welder.

Post by xo18thfa »

After about 25 of years of waiting, I finally got a good welding machine (at least better then the 110V Home Depot MIG). It's the old tried and true Lincoln AC/DC "buzzbox".

My electrician neighbor put in circuit into the garage and we got it fired up. With 7018 rod and DC+ it's feels easy to use. Seems like it penetrates well, almost no splatter, cleans up good. So far so good.

The same neighbor gave me a giant pile of steel cut offs and scrap.

Now for practice.

Bob
Bob Sorenson, Harrisburg, South Dakota
ken572

Re: Bob's new welder.

Post by ken572 »

Bob,

Those Lincoln arc welders like your's have been around and running
super strong for 40 years. There were two different predecessor's
to your ac/dc which were ac only in the same box yours is in. One
was a 185 amp with aluminum transformer windings and the color
was a brownish red color, Next was a 225 amp with copper transformer
windings, same color as yours and all after. These are very tuff welders
and time proven. Congrats on your new toy.. :)

Ken.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
randyc

Post by randyc »

Bob, you have a very fine neighbor ! Steel "scrap" is worth a lot of money these days ... not to mention that it's always useful to have an electrician as a friend, LOL.

At the time I acquired my Craftsman MIG (about 20 years ago), I could have purchased that Lincoln for the same price. BIG mistake on my part - the Lincoln would probably have been the only welder I ever needed (other than the O/A torch). I struggled with the little Craftsman until recently when I broke down and bought a Miller 211.

I doubt that you'll ever regret getting that machine, it's a good one !

Randy C
EdK

Post by EdK »

Bob,

Nice welder.
I eventually would like to get a stick welder and that is the exact one I will probably get. Now I have my hands full learning how to use my Millermatic 180 MIG welder. :?

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
randyc

Post by randyc »

Bob, please excuse me for changing the subject briefly.

Ed, if you read the review on the Miller 211, you'll have seen the rig that I put together to test it. It's still sitting out in the garage and if you like, I can lend it to you (you'll need an electric drill, speed controller and a collection of clamps, LOL). I found it to be useful for finding the best welder adjustments and welding speed (which I could then try to copy manually).

If you have any interest, PM me with your address and I'll ship it to you.

Randy C
machine48

Post by machine48 »

I have the Lincoln 225 ac welder that my dad bought me when I turned 18. I am now 58 and the welder is still going strong. you will like your new welder.
calgator

Post by calgator »

mine is 18 years old, fell of a trailer once (it was stopped) and then of the bed of a truck doing 70 down the freeway. still works (after I replace the broken knobs) I never unbolted it from the wood frame and that saved it when skidding down I-10. they are tough, enjoy.

Charles
The best times were behind one of Al's engines
JackF

Post by JackF »

Hi Bob,

Nice welder. I bought a 180 amp Lincoln AC 44 years ago. Built (if you could call it that) my 34 three window with it. Sold it awhile back when I got my Tig for what I paid for it. Maybe could have gotten more for it, it served me well.

Jack.
calgator

Post by calgator »

A good add for a stick welder is a 40 foot extension cord. I had an electrician make me one out of what I think is #02 4 wire. That way I can weld outside of my shop, like when I’m fabricating a bumper for my brothers truck that as 42” tire, on 12” suspension lift and 3” body lift. There was no way it was making it in my garage.

Good welding

Charles
The best times were behind one of Al's engines