New Type of Oxy-Acet System VERY COOL

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

ken572

Re: New Type of Oxy-Acet System VERY COOL

Post by ken572 »

oldgoaly,

Thanks for your personal and honest review. I enjoyed it. :wink:

Ken.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
tlfreak

Post by tlfreak »

interesting,we had someone come in where i work and demo a cutting torch that ran on gasoline and oxy.The guy on day shift
that tried it said it cut 4 to 6 inches of steel just like oxy/acetlyne.Don't know if it would of cut some of the thicker stuff but it was deemed to unsafe for our work.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

tlfreak wrote:it was deemed to unsafe for our work.
That's an interesting comment. While I understand one's fear of gasoline, I don't see acetylene as being any safer. It is known to detonate from its own pressure, assuming pressure is beyond 14 psi. Were it not for the acetone in acetylene cylinders, they would not function. I feel it's safe to say, acetylene is a very dangerous gas.

With the rising cost of acetylene, a gasoline fired torch may make sense. I welcome contrasting points of view.

Welcome to the forum.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

several parts of the military and rescue units use them. the ataction is fuel is easy to get in a disaster. even a flooded car may have a tank of fuel where as bottled gas could be hard to come by. at the time.
there is a american manf and some import unit around.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Do you have any experience with them, Ken? Best I have is the advertising I've seen. I think I could get interested in one of them, although the price appears to be quite high.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i attended a class ( dont recal the manf at the time)put on by a sales rep about 6 yrs ago , besides having to pump up the fuel tank it is pretty much like a oxy/acy tourch but the cost will take your breath away. :shock:

a basic system will cost over a 1000 dallors and the heavey cutting unit will top out at over 3000 dallors replacement tips are around 60 dallors.

if a fellow had a scba or scuba 3000psi compressor he could use actual operating cost
would be very little.ok i will need to preface that thought with the knowledge that a bottle of oxyogen is 98 % pure and a scba tank is at around 29% so it may or may not work that way

so inspite of all the bling they toss out it is nothing new or improved, just differient

i am really suprised they dont market one that would burn jp8.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks!
A guy can buy a lot of acetylene for $3,000!

Harold
tlfreak

Post by tlfreak »