TIG using the Everlast PowerUltra 205

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

awake

TIG using the Everlast PowerUltra 205

Post by awake »

As I just reported in another thread, I have finally gotten an argon tank and begun to experiment with the TIG function of my Everlast multi-function machine. For the most part, I am delighted with the machine's performance, but I have run into a couple of issues, and wonder if anyone has encountered similar issues with one of these import multi-function machines.

Issue #1 was easy to fix: When I tried using the pedal the first time, the torch was activated from the instant I turned on the power. I discovered that a switch on the pedal needed a bit of adjustment so that it broke contact when the pedal was in its fully released position.

Issue #2 still has me baffled: When I set the machine to the "panel" position, so that amps are controlled at the machine, and the arc is initiated by pressing and holding a switch on the torch, everything works as expected. When I change to the "remote" position, so that the arc and amps are controlled by the pedal, it works as expected ... except that the gas never shuts off afterwards. I have to turn the machine off to stop the post-flow. This is true no matter where I set the post-flow timer control. When I unplug the machine, I hear what sounds like a relay clicking shut, which makes me think that for some reason the relay that controls the post-flow gets "stuck" (electrically or mechanically) when configured for the pedal.

Has anyone encountered anything like issue # 2 above? If so, is there a simple fix, or is this a defect in the machine?

I can of course close the valve as needed to keep from wasting argon between welds, but then I run the risk of forgetting to turn it back on. The machine is still under warranty, but I hate to think about shipping it back for a relatively minor problem. I am also reporting this problem to Everlast, and it may be that they will have a simple solution, but I thought I'd ask here as well.
sjames

Re: TIG using the Everlast PowerUltra 205

Post by sjames »

if post flow works with the panel control, but not the pedal, that tells me the gas solenoid is good (which is also what im guessing you are hearing when you turn the machine off)

i might suggest fiddling with the foot pedal some more, it sounds to me like the unit does not know you have stopped welding yet.
awake

Re: TIG using the Everlast PowerUltra 205

Post by awake »

An update -- issue #2 is now resolved. I am not sure what (if anything) I did to resolve it! I took the cover off both the foot pedal and its plug to see if there were any obvious issues (bad solder joint or such). I didn't see anything, so I reassembled and plugged it in. I experimented to see if I could weld on the remote setting (using the foot pedal), and then switch it back to the panel setting to control the post flow.

Somewhere in all of that, I suddenly realized that postflow was working on the remote setting! I wish I knew which of the things I did actually made the difference. It will be interesting to see if it is an intermittent problem, or if it is now resolved for good. If intermittent, I will probably look first at the plug again. There is a connection made inside the plug (ie, does not feed wires down to the pedal) that may have something to do with the postflow -- or at least, I have identified all the other connections (two for the switch that starts/stops welding and three for the potentiometer that sets the welding current). The two remaining pins are connected together inside the plug. I wonder if perhaps this connection was either shorted out or has a bad joint ...

In any case, for now all is working, and working very well -- my TIG skills are still very rudimentary, but I know enough to say that the machine is doing its part very well indeed.