Propane regulator setting

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

tornitore45

Propane regulator setting

Post by tornitore45 »

I have a Goss Propane torch with tips #5 and #3. The regulator gauge scale goes from 0 to 60 PSI.
What is the low pressure setting appropriate for the tips?

Thanks
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
warmstrong1955

Re: Propane regulator setting

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Are you cutting or welding? I'm not familiar with Goss. I've used a lot of nat gas, LPG & MAPP gas cutting torches, and all Victor. How thick of material too....it makes a difference.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Mainly silver brazing or hardening.
Tip No3 is about 3/4" ID and tip No5 is about 1.25" ID
The torch is propane only, air is aspirated through the vent holes of course, not supplied under pressure.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

Mauro,
I have recent;y been in contact with Goss, as I picked up a Goss Acet-O-Lite torch kit at a flea market in it's origional package, unused for $10US and wanted to get more info on it. The same kit is sold today for $125-140US!
They recommend 5psi to the torch. I have found info on several sites that warns Acetaline is unstable at 15psi and can spontaneously combust. I picked up a fuel gas regulator with input/output pressure gages at the jumble stall at Cabin Fever and bought locally an adaptor for my B tank.
I also have a Prest-O-Lite Acet/Air torch that was my Dads. Got the B tank from him, too.
Goss sent me their operating instructions in a pdf. I can e-mail it to you if you want it.

Chuck
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Thank you Chuck, I am not sure you can apply Acetilene data to propane. I will try the Goss website.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

My bad, I focused on Goss and missed the propane. My Goss torch is acetylene.

Chuck
scmods

Post by scmods »

Mauro

Propane for heating doesn't have the same type of considerations as acetylene fuel and oxygen operating systems. I generally stop forcing the fuel when the flame no longer adheres to the mouth of the tip. At this point, the combustion is no longer under control, the noise attenuates, and the heat pattern of the flame goes to hell. Go to a larger tip at this point if you can. By the same token, if the flame is too small that it loses the typical roar of concentrated combustion, go to a smaller tip.

Personally, I'm not real keen on an air torch for silver brazing, but then I have a jeweler's oxy-acetylene setup that takes the temperature up a couple of levels and makes things much faster.

To it's great credit, propane is certainly cheap enough and reduces the chance of scorching (foam or flaking) that its a good choice for general heating and heat treating.

Happy heating

Bill Walck
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Thank you Bill, what you say give me something to look for adjusting the pressure.
I am new at this, I gather that pressure must be matched to the tip size. Dha! Who would have thought of that? :oops:
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX