Fenway Duplicator/Nibbler & Roper Whitney 5T punch

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Fenway Duplicator/Nibbler & Roper Whitney 5T punch

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

I have the opportunity to buy a Fenway Duplicator/Nibbler. I'd not taken a HARD look at it but what sort of work can these do? I think it has a 1hp Baldor motor on it...

Also, they have a 5T RW Kick punch with tooling for about $500. I passed on a Diacro #2 for $200 a while back, not sure if I boo-booed or not. Seemed like it didn't have much of a throat.

Currently trying to talk a local club member out of his Tennsmith 4' finger brake. I want that first. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Jacin

Re: Fenway Duplicator/Nibbler & Roper Whitney 5T punch

Post by Jacin »

Hey Marty, what does it look like ? (I did a quick search and came up empty). Obviously the deeper the throat the more capablities - but at 1 HP it sounds like it got metalshaping possibilities.
The Pullmax Line of nibblers (quite large) I am guessing the smallest one goes 3,000 lbs while the bigger ones run 5,000-ish. (There are others as well Trumph for one) anyways these are mostly monsters (yes I want one) and offer LOTS of possibilities. The shearign dies are replaced with various forming dies and you can pretty much make whatever you can think up. The shrinking dies are WAY COOL. You can basically do compound curve work (by stretching and or shrinking) or simple "bead" work - like floor pan or firewall beads - joggles - you name it. They are very versatile machines but require a serious floor to set them one. Since they "vibrate" the old 4" garage floor ain't gonna cut it.

Now when we start talking the smaller units the possibilities just get smaller (in size not necessarily amount)

In any event $100 sounds pretty cheap (even if it is a power hand held unit - they bring more than that - if one of those I don't know what they do other than cut with them.

Guys often make edge shrinkers out of kick punches - basically something to forma "ruffle" for ponding out later (the basic shrinking method) - but that would eb a good tool just as it is -since you have the tooling. I have seen them bring more with no tooling. Personally I thinkthe kick punches are more geared towards production and lever styles are easier to use - on "one off" set ups. IMHO
Even $200 for the Diacro aint bad at all. Handy little buggers - tooling can really add up fast. I found a Diacro #2 and the #4 (I think) they wanted $400 apiece (no tooling) -Too Much! - I'd like to get the bigger one and just use it for punch work - but I am waiting for a deal. Unfortunately around here - it is MUCH MORE DIFFICULT to find deals on Sheet Metal Equipment - they seem to hold their value quite well [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img] Easier to get a deal on a Bridgeport or Lathe!
ttok

Post by ttok »

Marty - I may have bought that Di-Acro #2 hand punch a month ago on Ebay! It was in Dallas, and I am in San Antonio. Really did not need it, but it was cheap and I was going to Dallas on business the week after the end of the auction. I picked it up in person, dismantled it, and put it in my Lincoln Town Car!!! Stand went in trunk! Free shipping! It has become VERY HANDY since then. I like Di-Acro green, so I took the parts and stripped them for repainting. Then the roof leaked in our house and Buckled up 15' X 15' of parkay floor in the living room!! The two main castings are now sitting on the floor as weights to flaten the floor while it dries out! Since they total 350#, they work great, and the wife has new respect for machine tools!! Always jump at the opportunity to acquire tools - never know when or WHY you will need them! (It was not really a bargain - no stripper plates or die shoe - Di-Acro wants about $400 for them).
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Attached is a picture of the Fenway duplicator. Maybe someone would recognize it.

Marty
George_Barnes

Post by George_Barnes »

Marty, that looks like a Heck nibbler, one of the smaller models. I have a No. 4 that has a deeper throat and a 3 H.P. motor. They went by the trade name of "Trace A Punch" and were made in Redford Michigan. I'll see if I can unbury it enough to take a photo, if you're interested.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Another interesting machine. I haven't had any leads locally on nibblers but had I known to look for duplicators there was a Fenway Duplicator up for auction in Grand Rapids, Mi last week. I found this on the Kett site;.

In 1970, Kett Tool purchased the shear line of WPB out of Racine, Wisconsin and in 1996, purchased the Fenway Nibbler line.

It appears that Fenway nibblers in the manual section at that site are the handheld variety and at least one bears the Fenway label.

True it does look similar to the Heck nibbler.
http://www.heckind.net/MODEL4AND3C.HTML

Marty, how deep/high is the throat on it? Side photo would be great! Thanks [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Marty you did fine! This one is for sale for $350. (no cabinet) Image Punch / Nibbler, Asset # 062, 1.5 H.P. Punch / Nibbler $350
http://www.hsnp.com/~chem-fab2/forsale.htm
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

I've not bought the nibbler yet. Not sure what practical use it would have. Ideas from the gallery? Here is a shot of the 5 ton Roper Whitney kick punch with a box loaded with dies. Thoughts????
Marty
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

George, if its buried you must not use it much? While it looks like an interesting machine, I'm trying to figure out what practical uses it might have....I'd like to try and get the kick punch but....
Marty
ttok

Post by ttok »

Marty - $500 is a little high for a Roper - Whitney #29 kick press. They made two models in recent years - the #29 is the smaller of the two, and the #58 is larger. One #29 sold on Ebay on 12/7/02 for only $87.00, but THAT was a DEAL!! I paid $281 for mine (a very old cast model which I like better than the newer welded up types) on 12/27/01. What wags the whole dog on these is SHIPPING. I picked mine up on a trip in the area, but shipping from Illinois to Texas would have been more than the item - needs crating too! #29 has a 10" throat (my old one) while the #58 has an 18" throat. A very old #28 was also made with a 7" throat, but I have never seen one in person or on sale. A #58 was sold on Ebay in Calif. on 2/27/02 for $405. They usually average in the $300 - $400 price range. Not a kick press nut - just watch prices for "justification" of my purchase!! They always have a stand(!!), but missing stripper arms and stripper plates are available cheap from Roper Whitney - nothing like Di-Acro for high tooling prices. More modern ones (like your photo) have the diagonal brace on the foot pedal. I would say go for it!! If it is in your area, that is most important factor. Watch out - the darn things are very TOP HEAVY and are somewhat tricky to move around. I put mine face-down in a U-Haul trailer and did not remove the square bolt (very hard) which holds the die in place. Well, it went right thru the trailer floor, but it had the beneficial effect of pinning the machine in one place in the trailer and only made a small hole! Did not shift 1" in 1,300 miles on the road.
ttok

Post by ttok »

Sorry - I looked again at your photo of the kick press - it appears to be the #58, not the smaller #29. Looks good to me, even at that price, IF it is within range for convenient personal pick up. A.T.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

It is 10 minutes away. Has a box loaded with dies. Trying to work something out with them.
Hey, if anyone needs a Rotex Turret Punch they have one of those too. But I think they want $3k for it.
Marty