Side replacement after accident

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Marcus

Side replacement after accident

Post by Marcus »

I need help. I understand this plane is for sale. Enjoy the photo, have a chuckle and lets throw around some suggestions for repair! Or is it destined for the wrecker?

Marcus
Scott

Re: Side replacement after accident

Post by Scott »

Marcus,I think thank plane needs to go to the welding forum first! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img]
jpfalt

Post by jpfalt »

Well, it has two good tires and two good propellers. I guess that qualifies as a good fixer-upper.

Only one answer---DUCK TAPE!!!!
AndrewMawson

Post by AndrewMawson »

Well, it has two good tires and two good propellers. I guess that qualifies as a good fixer-upper.

Only one answer---DUCK TAPE!!!!

So are there two type of tape - DUCT tape for securing ducts and DUCK tape for securing - well for securing WHAT exactly ?
Andrew Mawson
Battle, East Sussex, UK
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

I think it is only molting*...who knows...maybe the next stage is a 747.

*Molting (Ecdysis) is the process whereby the plane
outgrows its old shell and forms a new, larger one.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
PatBearss

Post by PatBearss »

I am still trying to figure out what kind of an accident. Is this the work of an Edward Scissors-hand . It looks as if it were next to a large slicing machine, possibly another airplane blade did this damage?Any quesses?
pat
jutz

Post by jutz »

This is an old photo. It was done by another aircraft. If I recall correctly, someone was hand-starting their plane without anyone in it, the throttle well above idle, no chocks and either no parking brake or the parking brake not set (and, obviously, no functioning brain cells).
jpfalt

Post by jpfalt »

Same difference.

Duct tape is for sealing ducts and is a fabric and plastic backed adhesive tape.

Duck Tape is the same thing made by the Duck Tape Company. They have a picture of a duck in their logo. It comes from an old term for a cotton fabric called cotton duck.

Something better would be gaffers tape which is a cloth backed tape that stretches less and has a stonger adhesive bond. It was designed for use by electricians working on lighting crews for a way to put up a light on a movie set quickly with low risk of the light falling on someone.
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

First question. No, never mind.
Second question. What are the Fed's gonna say if you "fix it up yourself"?
In other words, aren't airplane mechanics and such supposed to be "certified" as such?
Although I ask that question, and realize there must be a way around it, because I did some work for a guy that was in a welding shop class with me, and he was building a plane from SCRATCH ! Actually got them to let him fly it. I remember sweating about it for a while when he wrecked it landing in a grass runway. (I worked on the landing gear setup)
Come to find out, it was just his sorry flying.
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P