Shrinking Dies - In action

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jacin

Shrinking Dies - In action

Post by Jacin »

I previously asked some questions about dies - here's my shot at "winging" the dies and what they are for. I think they work OK but I have nothing to compare them to.
Scott

Lets see,maybe heading to-

Post by Scott »

Bonneville with your new salt flat discs.I do think you need a little less crown though?
Ralph_Monroe_Mi

Re: Shrinking Dies - In action

Post by Ralph_Monroe_Mi »

Excellent post Jacin. It looks to me like you are getting more shrinking action than Greg gets with his. How many cycles per revolution and how many hits per cycle? How many strokes per minute does that little press run?
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hi Ralph, Not sure at all you're asking - but here goes nothin'

I ran each picture through machine 1 revolution - I was spacing each plunge about 1" apart (give or take) I plunged to the same depth except for the last one where I only went 1/2 as deep. I did this to try and add some shape to the shrink. I ased the guru's how I was doing and they all seemed to think I could use a little more relief in the lower die so I added that today. It did make a noticeable difference as it was easier to add shape to the shrink zone with the additional clearance the relief provided.

I don't recall the specifications (never knew them) I am curently trying to get a Owners manual from the manufacturer. It does seem to "buzz along" at a pretty decent rate. Two settings for (I think both stroke and rate) - I would guess the stroke is .100" or so for the "long" stroke and .030" for the short - I dunno fo rsure - too lazy to got out right now - burrrr!! cold !!!! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
It's all new to me so I am still pretty amazed at the whole process. Shrinking metal - who'da thunk!!!!
If you get a chance - could you post a close up of Greg's dies - I figure the more I see the better! Thanks!
Jacin

Re: Lets see,maybe heading to-

Post by Jacin »

ahhhh LESS crown is easy! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]

I'm just trying to figure all this "Tin Bangin' Stuff" all out [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]

I figure at this rate - one day I might even know what I am doing! - Heck it's at least theoretically possible!!
oldgoaly

Post by oldgoaly »

Jacin,
your working on a dragster???
if you have seen shrinking done by hand you will know that it works and its
not an exact science, the dies/machine just take the variance of human error
out. i think once you get the hang of it you will be happy, clearance problems will show up as little to no shrink with galling in the tight places. only contact between the dies is the half moon shape in front of the thumbnail. probably what most
people will do is think it will do more shrink than it does, and doubling up on the outer areas is very important. if i remember right your doing this on a planishing
hammer? it dont need to hit real hard, just enuf to flatten the tuck out.
how is the finish on the peice when you pull it out?

Take care!

tt
still clueless near stlouis
clueless near st.louis
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hi Terry!

Yup this is for my dragster. 180" Ealry hemi - scratch built - in process and going SLOW [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img] BUT learning lots [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]

I am using these dies on a BABY NIBBLER I recently picked up. I am very happy as to what they will do but admittedly have no experience with them prior so I don't know if I am good bad or inbetween. I have since "tuned" these dies a wee bit more (since this picture) and they are close (I think). There is still some panel marking but it is much more visual than measurable.

Hemi's forever!

I have been doing some shrinking by hand and let me tell you the first time I shrunk anything by hand the "light" REALLY went on. Now I am basically getting lazy and looking for some easier ways to shrink. Same with planishing - I've done (and still do) lots by hand, but I am looking to really smooth stuff out - I am fairly happy with my homebuilt Planishing hammer for that. I am still learning tons and need to add some more "soft" tooling to my aresenal.
oldgoaly

Post by oldgoaly »

ah ha just figured out the attachment(pics) you got it, looks good and sitting there
with a mic and seeing the metal get thicker is real strange!!! first time i heard about a cold shrink was working at a sheet metal shop as a gohper and the vise grips that i was using to drag multiple sheets of metal left bends that the head tinner said
i better cut it out or my head was next, he showed me how it shrank on a wooden bench with a wooden mallet, never forgot what he said, untill i started making things i needed did it really sink in. even remember his name Norm Kleme,
hope he is still with us!
alot of what your try to explain is much easier to show then explain what happened, much easier to hand you a sheet of metal and let you try it and learn!
Keith Dalleen and Jacin from MO, were here and they got to play and you should
have seen how big their eyes got as they worked the metal, best was when i gave them the monster mauller mallet i made from fence post that seems to get
the biggest smiles!

have fun!

tt
clueless near st.louis
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hey Terry - You can't tease us about no Monster Mallet without posting a PICTURE!!!!

C'mon I'm all ears - I mean eye's......
oldgoaly

Post by oldgoaly »

Jacin,
you just want me to screw up trying to post a pic!
(well this aint yahoo) its on the far right, 4" diameter
about 6" long? see some of the odd shapes?
just old fence post with tight curly grain(wont split)
there are some plastic mallet here but they dont get used much.
but have some aluminum project to do, maybe then?

tt
clueless near st.louis
Ralph_Monroe_Mi

Post by Ralph_Monroe_Mi »

Impressive display of hammers. Bet that's not all of them either. How come the bought ones look new and the homemades all look used? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] I'm finding I like the feel, action and control of the hardwoods a lot better than steel. I don't seem to get as much damage. They act kind of like a softer version of a slapper.
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hey Ralph, get any heat yet???

I finally made some progress (not much but a little)

Got to use my NEW DIES too!!!