The Lamp Shade - RETURNS!

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jacin

The Lamp Shade - RETURNS!

Post by Jacin »

Hi Guys, I saw an interesting thing on metal spinning the other day and of course it got me thnking - "hey I always wanted to try that!"

And after a couple attempts here's my best effort so far - it still needs LOTS of help as the wall thickness on the BIG END is far too thin - anyone with any experience on doing this - I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to keep the wall thickness from getting too thin!

Thanks!
Lee

Re: The Lamp Shade - RETURNS!

Post by Lee »

That's cool! Care to add a few details as to how you did this??? Inquiring minds want to know [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
I always like to learn, but I don't always like to be taught.
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hi Lee, well I hesitate only because those who actually know the RIGHT method will get a good laugh out of me - oh what the heck......here goes nothin'

I turned a blank out of steel (only because I was planning on making several parts)

With the blank still chucked up (small end towards tailstock) I used a hunk of aluminum bar stock to both space out the tailstock as well as apply a holding pressure against the part - the flat disc was basically snadwiched between the tailstock and the turned blank. I then annealed the blank and basically forced the metal into position. I tried this with a long wood stick (don't laugh - it worked - but was too soft to get in close for the "start" - I then made a kinda "nub" on the end of a long rod and again manually forced the metal into position - it was easy to score the metal this way - I used some sulfur based oil fo rlube (that's what I had - I undestand they (the pros) use some sort of wax - anyways I move the metal a little - then anneal - move anneal - repeat -

Lastly I made a tool (mounted in the tool holder) that has a ball on the end - and basicaly hand cranked it into position - somewhat easier than the "full manual" depending on what you're used to the PROBLEM is that I get it TOO thin at the LARGE end. I was using BOTH .050 and .060 think 3003 H14 (annealed) - I know 1100 would be better - but I was only fooling around with what I had laying around. I did find a sort of tutorial on this on the web soemwhere and printed it - but left it on my desk at work - naturally - I bet I will get a GOOD LAUGH on Monday when I read how i was SUPPOSED to do this. GRIN
Lee

Post by Lee »

Well, all things considered, I think it turned out pretty darn good! I have been facinated with metal spinning but have never taken the time to try it (yet). There's something about a spinning sheet of metal that makes me a little nervous [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img] But I imagine I would exercise the utmost caution when trying it. As far as you winding up too thin on the large end, the only thing that makes sense to me is perhaps you should try to work the smaller end more. I mean stretch it a little farther so when you get to the large end you still have a fair amount of material left. Again, I have never done it, so I'm not sure if I am on the right track or not. But I DO think you are! Good work! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
I always like to learn, but I don't always like to be taught.
oldgoaly

Post by oldgoaly »

Jacin,

is that really a metal party hat?

cool project, i need to get my lathe going(spinning)
at metalmeet one of the guys did a cup about 4" by shrinking the edges, he was real proud of that cup, well Bob and I threw him pennies, we all got a good
laugh at that.

Take care!
tt
clueless near st.louis
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hi Terry, Actually that's one half of Madonna's new stage outfit - this is the more conservative prototype <grin>

We joked that I could go into business making challaces for the Church - but I doubt they'd buy from "dirt bag" like me.
And YES I have it on good authority that I am in fact a "dirt bag" - well at least that's what the Catholic Priest told my wife!
Of course I don't mind it so much, but woudl have preferred he met me first - we could have discussed it properly then. <smile> - I digress.......
Jacin

The Lamp Shade - RETURNS! - still learning!

Post by Jacin »

Ok here's one that's almost useable!!! Kinda neat stuff - sorta science sorta art. I dunno but I like it!
oldgoaly

Re: The Lamp Shade - RETURNS! - still learning!

Post by oldgoaly »

Jacin,
i dont remember if you mentioned if you used any lubricant while spining?
sure does look like a reflector for a work light. Well you can say you have spun some metal, 99.99% of the people on the planet have not!

paint it red and you have a "DEVO" hat(how i remembered the hat/name, can't name a tune they played early 80's i'm thinking.

How come you did not make it to Randy's for metal meet?

i will be in the Cleveland area around Memorial day 2004, maybe we could have a mini-fest at your place?

Mark Nugent is supposed to be buying out parts of a spin shop in KC area,
i don't know all the details, but he said it was a just about done deal?
i will pass it along to him that you are doing some spinning, he has watched at
this shop and has learned a few things.
Take care!
clueless near st.louis
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hi Terry! yep - I can now spin some tales on how good metal spinner I am (nyuk nyuk nyuk)

Yes I used some sulfur based oil - sparringly - or you'll wear it - go ahead ask how I know <sheepish grin>

The tool is amazingly smooth running with the lube - but if you linger in one spot too long it will gall almost without warning.

Yeah - I just GOTTA make it to Metal Meet one of these times!!!! It's sorta tough with little ones (lame excuse I know)- I do push my luck pretty good already - with all the swap meets and races <yikes!> But I will make it to one!!!!! I bet you guys hada real BLAST!!!!!! i'm jealous just thinking about it!

Definitely stop by - We can also swing over to Divco Dave's place - he's always got a zillion projects going -
icemaker

Post by icemaker »

Nice work Jacin. Some time ago I stumbled onto a document on the net that is a basic tutorial for metal spinning. It is a pdf that is about 15 pages long. For the life of me I can't remember what site I found it on. What is "Metal Meet" and where is it held at?

Best Regards,
Bill
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Thanks Bill,
I just found a short article on spinning and printed it off - I would have done better to read it first - but oh well <grin>

Metal Meet is a get together of some majorily talented metal fabricators and amateurs alike. They deal mostly with the forming and shaping of metal - things like car/bike panels, art work, sculture pretty much anything that puts SHAPE into metal. Their toybox constists of things like, Pullmax Nibblers,Shrinkers, Stretchers, English Wheels, Planishing hammers, BIG POWER Hammers (yoder, pettingel,quick works) all the way down to the simple hand hammer and shot bag. ANYONE with an interest in this sort of thing ought to check out:
www.metalshapers.com
www.metalmeet.com

both are great groups and are VERY helpful.
oldgoaly

Post by oldgoaly »

Divco?
The Thorne Gas-Electric club is part of the Divco club.
Was Dave at Hershey for the dinner? we were there(back corner)
See if he has any 1937 Divco wheels, 20 x 5 or 20 x 6 (5 bolt)
a NYC policeman needs a set for his truck.

Lube i thought i read in one of the lindsay reprints was soap based???
hmmm maybe saving those little soap bars is wrong?

i think we spent most of the week at new orleans, so will be in cleveland about that long, lots of stuff to do in N.O. lots to eat, had to walk miles everyday to
keep that girlish good looking figure(big smile)
have you looked at the www.metalmeet.com the pictures(i'm in there)
Great bunch of guys to hang with and learn!

take care!
tt
clueless near st.louis