Pipe roller dilema

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

Roy

Pipe roller dilema

Post by Roy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:19 am

As a favor to the fellow in the job shop I use, he has a pipe roller he started years ago, but gave up on it as it used to skew the pipe as it was fed out the dies in an arc to the side as well as the radius that was formed. He asked me if I wanted to work with it and see what I could do to make it work right. Its basically a 7.5 hp motor driving a huge gear box that turns one of the three dies for power feed. The dies are round and made for pipe and heavy tube. Two are on one side and are fixed in place and the adjustable die is opposite those two about midway between them. The bending / rolling and feed work fine. Its just that it makes this spiral effect when pipe is run through it., It would be perfect for a spiral staircase on how it makes pipe right now but he needs it to be able to meet or be at least close to laying flat. Any ideas on how to make this thing work? I thought about having a follower die of some sort to sort or force the arch back down, and it would have to be somewhat adjustable according to the radius of the circles he would bend.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rolly

Re: Pipe roller dilema

Post by Rolly » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:08 am

Hear is a pipe bender a friend of mine built.
Rolly

Rolly

Post by Rolly » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:10 am

A coil that it will bend. See attachment
Rolly

Rolly

Post by Rolly » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:11 am

And a pan cake coil
See attachment

Jacin

Post by Jacin » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:34 pm

Hi Roy, I have absolutely no expertise here, but have an idea or two.

I agree with the follower die concept, but I think I'd apporach it by using a roller die that was a basic "V" design - You can even purchase hardened V rollers that have built in eccentrics to them - mount it perpendicular to the other rollers and you could tweak the pipe as it exits the last roller - maybe use two??? But before all that I think I'd have to wonder what's causing it inthe first place. Could it be the deflection difference in the rollers??? (Since one is working twice as hard as the other two. Next Is the alignment correct?? Lastly Maybe the "last" roller could be adjustable axially - this could then be tweaked to allow the curve to be staright of offset which then might become a FEATURE instead of a flaw!!!

Just thinking out loud

Jacin in Ohio